Skip to main content

Glutinous tour of Melbourne


 The main aim of my visit to Melbourne was to see friends and eat good food and drink some lush wine before I start to live on rice, soy sauce, curry, tropical fruit and bottled water.
Staying with my old school friend Amy held me in good stead.

We started at Soul Mama in St Kilda with a familiar feast – one I had enjoyed 9 years ago on my last visit. The following day I searched high and low for the internet and ended up in the McD’s – now the home of wifi not just clean toilets! I enjoyed Pimms & Lemonade and some supermarket treats on the beach whilst a young North Eastern English couple bickered beside me….I don’t think their holiday was going so well, although it did make me all the more grateful I was flying solo! Friday night saw an Italian feast at another St Kilda restaurant with delicious food and wine at I Carusi II. It  turns out the ex-pat Itai’s have mastered it in their southern hemisphere home. Eating was starting to become awesome on the big adventure – quite the contrast to the European leg where I ate a lot of Popcorn and traditionally strodgy crap. Taking a stroll home down St K’s main drag Ackland St made me appreciate how small the world is with my old travel buddy Irene convalescing in the Rococo  bar with her friend Ash. We stopped in for a bit of the local red drop before making a plan to play later in my visit.

On Saturday Amy and I hit the city for a spot of shopping, starting with Op shopping in Amy’s neighbourhood Sacred Heart Mission. The Mission has a big job on its hands as the St Kilda area is full of bums and junkies…as Amy kept reminding me “if you’re going to be down and out you may as well be down and out at the beach!” The crazy mix of backpacker culture, open street prostitution (illegal in Australia), hard core junkies swinging and singing and low life scum makes St Kilda a very eclectic spot. The city contrast is pretty clear and the Melbourne laneways famous for boutiques and cafes was a great place to while away the hours before heading over to trendy Richmond. Here we caught up with another school friend Miriam. We headed to her local and a Kiwi owned haunt called the Cherry Tree. The three of us girls have travelled the world but never really together so it was great to pick their brains and share tales of adventure over some more Pimms and fat chips.



Lemon Meringue treat from Brunetti's
The next day saw us off to meet a new addition to the Gore girls family – Kerri Lou introduced us to 6 week old Zoe along with her partner James. We feasted at a local institution called Brunetti's which was another Italian delight this time full of cakes and sweet treats as well as a very fetching cannelloni! Miriam and Amy took me for more of the Op Shopping which was all rather cruel given my inability to nest at the moment. It certainly made me look forward to that phase though! Not one for having an early night we cracked on to an ex-pat haunt with some of Amy's Scottish friends after a few drinks in their apartment sharing stories and discovering one of the girls had met my mate Hap on his epic adventure! Its only taken 9 years for someone to have met us both on their travels and this Scottish girl couldn't get enough of it! Alas we ended up in a pub called the Elephant and Wheelbarrow that hosts 'Neighbours' nights and was playing Man U v City. Classic night of drinking with these girls. Thanks for the giggles. 

Amy and I missioned to Melbournes famous Chapel St on Monday and had a couple of feasts along the way with brunch in St Kilda to start at Pelican (lush French toast and berries with Maple Syrup) and then some Pakora in a mall followed by some Dim Sum and Ginger and LemongrassTea in a cute Oriental Tea House. Unsurprisingly too tuckered out for Neighbours night Amy cooked a delicous and fiery pasta dish and I tried some really great Australian Merlot (sorry forgot the name). 

HopAlongIrene and her Vegie Patch
With Amy back at work and with a couple of days to spare I caught up with old workmate James Birt. He has been home for a few months and it was nice to hear of his latest addition to the family Thomas and his 2012 plans. I skipped out for the evening to Brunswick for my play date with Irene and enjoyed eating Lentil burger at Vegie Bar another Melbourne institution apparently and fair call as it serves a purpose (reminding me alot of Potpourri in Dunedin but on an evening and supersized scale). Irene nattered away like two teenagers on school camp and I went out to her family home for a sleepover. It was a great way to see an Australian-Filipino suburban home and see Irene's vege patch. I was so impressed with her growing produce. We had a great day sorting out my last minute bits and bobs, buying travel sandals - which have broken on their first wear! Concluding the day with drinks in the city again with London friends Jarnia and Tania - an old workmate from BGI days at the Hairy Canary. It was great to see these girls and enjoy single girl banter after months away from my kind! 

drinks done! with Jarnia and Tania 
The week was finished off with a hearty breakfast of muesli and Rhubarb Compote with Amy before I flew off for Singapore. I certainly think I have lapped up the food part of Australia....looking forward to my next visit already ladies and gents!

Now bring on the rice...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye