Skip to main content

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative. 

The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost yellow hat of my trail pal Tania. As I started the slow decent through Kōwhai, I had a good talk to myself about concentrating on stairs not on a lost hat....and there it was, in the Kōwhai camouflage. The stairs down were brutal and I took the full 5 hours DOC estimate to complete. Grateful I only had a few metres at the bottom to Teena and Craig's Bach, lunch and a rest. 

The following day Craig dropped me down to the local jetty where I was the only hiker to cross to Marsden Pt (the day before he had taken 6 trips) with the local Dive company. I set off on the road as I needed to buy jandals (I lost one birkenstock in the mangroves) in Ruakaka and wanted to avoid the estuary.  I passed a protest site for those who want to 'Save Marsden Pt'. The protest signage seemed a bit confused between fuel security, covid restrictions and land back messaging. 

The road felt safe as there was a generous cycle verge into town and when I reached the beach it was a nice change of scenery. The wind picked up after lunch resting by the Life Guard shed and made for head wind battle for the afternoon, reaching Waipu via a few more road sections. As I departed Waipu I decided to hitch as the weekend Drivers were quite intimidating. A Local dropped me at the Waipu Cove Campground, where his daughter Nyria worked. Here I was able to give Tania her yellow cap back and we celebrate with dinner at the Waipu Cove restaurant. Easily the coolest restaurant in miles! I lined up with some Whangarei locals to catch the match Black Ferns v France in the RWC semi final back at camp. It was electric. We won. 

I was pleased I'd stayed up for the game as Guy Fawkes fireworks were the order from 10-11pm and sitting in a tent  would have felt quite scary. 

Sunday dawned and I farewelled my fellow camping TA hikers. I took a steady climb up Cullen Road admiring the new sub divisions with views towards Bream Head in the North and Bream Tail - Mangawhai Heads to the South. Finally reaching the Langs track and enjoying the bush cover. I met Charlie and Fiona, Scots running the TA while I stopped for morning tea. It was slow going to the start of the Mangawhai Heads trail where I called Pam, a former client who had driven up to host me on the family  farm.

Having driven up from Auckland especially, Pam and Greg picked me up on the farm drive and took me up to the farm house for lunch, it was a feast of fresh bread, chicken and salad. Pam washed my stinky hiking gear and I was afforded some clean socks for the rest of the day. With views north and south, the family farm house had a stunning vista, and privacy that made me feel like I was a long way from anything. 

Views back to Bream Head from the Farm

The hospitality was exceptional - so much so that Greg dropped me in the side by side UTV to a private road leading to the Mangawhai Cliffs walkway. I high tailed it with the lightness of knowing they were meeting me with my pack at the end of the trail. Passing stunning cliff edges, trees hanging on for dear life and architectural wonders along the coast edge. I was very grateful for the ride into Mangawhai as the campground I was aiming for is a permanent home settlement no longer serving the public. Across the water out of town I settled into the Riverside Camp Ground. This ride alone saved me 8km of tedious road walking, I was exceptionally grateful.

Pam and Greg my
Mangawhai Trail Angels

Day 20 saw me walking into the Auckland Region. Although I was oblivious to the signage. 

The 17km walk along the Te Arai beach to Pakiri, crossing streams and battling a headwind all  the way. I was shattered by the end and opted to stay at the Campground to recoup for the day. 

The following day was harrowing. I set off at 9am having enjoyed a rest and some solo time. My toes need some recovery time after the water logging but there was a ridge to conquer and a southerly to face. 5km up farmland in a muddy fenceline shuffle I went, baring down to avoid the rain. The southerly picked up as I met the ridge and Mt Tamahunga (Te Hikoi o Te Kiri) track. On private land that had not been maintained and with the spring rain and overwhelming volume of TA hikers footsteps it was a clay mud mess. 

Mud mud mud mud

I listened to music for the first time on the trail and enjoyed the road tripping sing along tunes for company. I slipped and slid all day including down a trapping line which had me slid about 3 metres down a step descent. I realised I was about 300m off trail and had to have a solid regroup on how to get back up the way I had come....if trappers can do it, then so can I. And I did, with the support of vines and tree support. 

I soldiered on, through the mud along the ridge, stopping for lunch under a canopy, dancing to keep warm. On I walked - a tough day in drenching rain and howling wind. The light was terrible and a final slip on clay saw me land on a small ponga stump right on my tailbone. I felt my legs - they could still move, but crikey it was sore. Up I got, there was more walking to go today. I was aiming for Dome Valley, but to get to Matakana Valley Road and safety was now my aim. I crossed into the DOC trail - hoping for better terrain but was sadly mistaken. Root climbing and mud now covered in leaves challenged every step to the road. 

I sought safety in a hitch to Matakana - Mike and his dog Rabbies picked me up - a sorry state covered in mud and wet through - and dropped me at the Matakana Motel. I spotted hikers poles outside one of the units and knocked on the door, I was stripped of my wet clothes, handed a towel and under the hot shower within 2 minutes. I spent more time in that shower washing the mud out of my clothes than off my body. My fellow hikers - part of my growing Trail Family joined me for dinner at the Rusty Pelican, where I sat barefoot on a couch eating a chicken burger...heaven!

Simone and I enjoying burgers in Matakana


Today I had made a new rule, if I would have to turn my lights on inside during the day then you get the hell out of the bush. 

Injured and shaken from the day before, I joined the others on a bus to Warkworth, before hitching to Puhoi. I spent the day in the Puhoi Hotel eating, resting, watching Netflix (wild!) 

Day 23 I  headed down to the Puhoi Kayaks, hired a kayak and paddled with some mates down the river to the estuary. My tailbone was not loving being seated in that kayak seat. Alas the forecast was terrible for the day ahead and we were all hustling for Auckland for shelter. 

We arrived into Wendehelm Regional Park and I made my way around the coast track. It was challenging for a city walk and I was grateful for my walking poles. I met many keen walkers and runners on that track and it was nice to cross paths in the suburban setting. I walked onto Waiwera meeting my Trail pals for lunch while we waited for the tide to go out. We then made for the adventures around the rocks to Orewa. Not a simple exercise as I had invisaged and I was pleased for the company as we climbed over fallen logs, boulder hoped and avoided slipper algae. We made it to Hatfield Beach and opted for road walking as the view of the kite surfers indicated a wild head wind ahead of us. Tania, Simone and I skirted the beach opting to hug the near empty beach houses. 


I farewelled the crowd, heading for my goal of the afternoon; a well earnt ice cream. I still had 6km to walk to Silverdale bus stop so I could head home to Northcote. After a lovely chat with a fellow ice cream fan she offered to drive me up to the bus station. I was thrilled. 

Reaching Akoranga Bus terminal where I had started 23 days earlier and being met by my joyful neice, nephew and Sister in law was such pleasure. Good to be home and out of the incoming storm. 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Jo! Had a drink with Sarah yesterday and was reminded to catch up on this blog. Just read the whole trip to date. I’ve thought of you a lot this month (Dec) with all the rain we have had. You have had some big adventure already and you’re only in Auckland so far. This journey is going to be epic and I’m looking forward to the next updates.
    Take care and stay safe. My overall impression from the blog is that you have met a lot of kind and lovely people on this trip? What a joy.
    Loren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B