Skip to main content

haere ra homeland


Its hard to say good bye to all your family and friends when the next seven months are simply unknown and the next time I will see them again an uncertainty.

Today I have a flight booked to Singapore via Melbourne and no formal itinerary – I’ve been meaning to make a plan but the comforts of home and the entertainment of my nephew and nieces has been more than enough to distract me over the past couple of months.
I have neglected to blog much during this time as I wanted to spend time with my family and enjoying their company. And I have been fortunate to achieve this thanks to my sisters Stephanie and Fiona and their other halves sharing so kindly and Mum being generous with her time as well.

The highlights of my visit to the South have been
with the bride Megan at her wedding
  • Chris & Jodie's wedding catching up with several friends from school and abroad and finally travelling through  Southern Lakes district home to Gore with my old school chum.
  • My besty from school & London days Megan and Kyles wedding where I was fortunate to be a bridesmaid, and made my best attempts not to embarrass Moo with my speech. We had a fabulous relaxed day in a cold howling winds in the gardens at the Hideaway in Winton and enjoyed delicious food and bubbles with friends. The Parents table (being the parents of the bridal party) were the most raucous – knowing they didn’t have babies to wake up to the next morning. And a good time was had by all. Not to mention the Bride looked stunning! Thanks again to the Hewlett's for inviting me to share their  weekend of celebrations. It was very special to me.
  • Attempting to make sandcastles in Riverton right at the bottom of the South Island with my nephew Josh and sister Stephanie when Summer sprung. Including Lunch with my favourite Aunt and Uncle overlooking the seaside from their dinner table.
  • Visits to Invercargill to get my travel shots brightened by my nieces giving me cuddles and reading books.
  • A few days in Dunedin visiting old haunts and spending some QT with my Hana.
  • Sophie’s Date afternoon on her last day of school including a visit to the Tuataras the closest living thing to a dinosaur (and spotting Sophie’s mate for birth – Harold), ladies afternoon tea, a twirl around the Museum including learning about Anne Frank and baking Christmas shaped cookies.
  • A night on the tiles in Gore with Carmel – who knew we could keep going til 3am and not be kicked out of every pub!
  • Eating regularly with my girlfriends from school. Seeing their growing lovely families and enjoying friendships that don't fade with time and distance.  
  • Nellie natters of an evening. Over a cheeky vino and experimental cooking….or some of Nellie's finest vegie patch delights, whilst admiring her lush floral gardens. Mum your the best!
  • And now finally farewelling my girlfriends in Auckland. Thanks to Nikki and Shane for their hospitality. I hope to be home in December to celebrate your nuptials! May the employment gods be on our side!


Riverton Beach to themselves - Josh & Stephanie
Falling in love again with my 3 favourite people;
Sophie Sausage, Monkey Emily and Josh the Dino

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye