Skip to main content

Mrs Foster turns 30 in style

Charlotte's birthday day was something else. I have been to day long parties before but waking to a hot Tuscan sun and heading out for a 20km cycle tour around the Medieval town of San Gimignana was something else. We took the winding back roads up to the township and took in a food break before heading down to continue the ride With 2km down hill many of the crew let rip and Mali came a cropper. Brave soldier, she she sat quietly and kept apologising as we chatted and Rodders and I did a crash investigation whilst the other cycled back up the same 2km hill and back to the cars. (I was relieved for the rest with my dicky heart on the verge of a spaz)



Magnum PI and Madonna -
Getting the party started
We headed back to the Villa in the Tuscan hills after the cycle and after a quick dip I went in and baked a chocolate cake (with no raising agent it transpired despite buying levitating flour. My Italian obviously needs work!). As the cake cooked the chef Mike and Charlotte had arranged for the night arrived. The feast Christiana presented to us after a few too many Prosecco’s by the pool and in 80’s costume made for a night to remember. 


80's boy styles
80's girls style - so hot!


















Birthday Madonna


For first course we had a selection of starters including a very popular duck liver and sundried tomatoes on toast, sausage and parmesan on toast (which I had no idea had meat in it till the left overs!), bruschetta, Tuscan Bread Salad and melon with freshly killed and cured ham (by her Dad’s fair hand none the less). 



Primi course was Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli with a sage and butter sauce. I was in heaven.


As the wine flowed and the conversation centered around general noises of gastronomic pleasure so came Secondi. This consisted of Tuscan stew a peppery delight with slow cooked beef which fell apart. It was so delicious most people left the beans and cherry tomatoes included on the dish. 

Fit to bursting we passed on dessert for the night which was a Tuscan classic cream dish in Lemon and Strawberry flavours. 


We downed the cake with pleasure…I’d doubled the recipe and it had gone soft in the middle. A homemade crowd pleaser (but not what I had planned!).


The night spiralled into the wee hours with many happy memories of 80’s classics with a cast of flashbacks with rouge mou’s and plenty of elbow bending.

A brilliant way to bring in the next decade for Mrs Foster. Salute Signora

Comments

  1. Love the 80's theme. Dot's Baywatch theme is a winner! Nice effort on the cake too. I'm sure it went down well. Take care, Cheers TJ and VJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the image doesn't do MacGyver justice...piece of rope and a spoon excellent accessories. Great time for sure. Loving the comments ;o) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey chick, just read your posts. Costumes had me laughing out loud! Loving the stories!! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alice! It was a lot of fun for sure. Definitely enjoying the adventure. Hope to catch you in London before I skidaddle x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye