Skip to main content

Highlights of Montenegro


I pulled into Budva and got horriby lost finding my accommodation. But like all things on this trip it meant I met some lovely people – this time Dutch former Croatians – who taking pity on me in my ‘state’ helped me finthe hostel. Having missed my noghts accommodation the night before due the bad information  Nicholas the host had me sleep in his digs. A tiny room at the top of the stairs – one would usually use as a broom cupbard. Can you imagine being in a full resort town on the Mediternaian and having a room to yourself for €12! I couldn’t be more thrilled.

Embrace the Harry Potter within I ventured into the old town of Budva to see what all the fuss is about. It really is a pretty little spot I ventured into the Citadel and saw some of the restored rooms of the City councillors of days gone by. The view over the bay was just stunning – and made me appreciate the room even more. Thousands upon thousands of bodies littered the beach taking in every ray possible. I have never seen so little body fat on men as I did in Budva. Renowned as a Russian resort this was definitely true in my experience with few people speaking English at all and asking for German as the closest alternative. I took my gelato on the beach in the shade and made tracks for the nearby town of Kotor.

Kotor is the largest and deepest inlet in Continental
 Europe being likened to the fjords of Norway (no-one here even considers that we have Fiords in our neck of the woods…good thing too. I like them as our little secret!)

Kotor and its harbour from the fortress
The twenty minute bus ride took us over the mountain range through tunnels and into a picturesque town with a marina full of super yachts and cruise liners. I made my way up. And by up I mean over 1350 steps up to the Fortress overlooking the inlet.
A stunning view of the inlet and an impressive feat for the locals to use as a fortification…I only want to do those steps once in a lifetime but through the generations many have traipsed up there daily and more. I was rewarded with water on my return down in the stifling heat.
Kotor Inlet - twas lovely and worth the hike

I really enjoyed my taste of the Mediterranean Montenegro and I am sure it would be more enjoyable outside peak season.

Lady working up the Fortress. Hats off to her!
(and her enterprising expensive water)
My time in Montenegro cannot be surmised without taking into account the stunning beauty of the Durmitor National Park UNESCO site. I was able to enjoy the park on my bus ride to Sarajevo the following day. As we twisted our way up from Budva the money shot came whilst staggering up the mountainside – with my when in transportation no pictures it means I have no snapshot of this image but they are a dime a dozen on the internet so feel free! The view over the two bays of Budva and Sveti Stefan was something else. And the development over the last 20 years is evident. I hope it doesn’t overtake more than what it has already! A few dull hours later with a snorting, chewing window seated fellow in my line of sight we reached the national park…and conveniently this stop so I muscled into the window seat for a piece of the action. And I was rewarded. As we twisted our way down the mountains of  Tara River Valley the views over Black Lake was like nothing I have ever experienced before from a bus. The blue of the lake with the gradient of the mountains surrounding was just amazing.

We forged through the valleys many tunnels to the Bosnian border where the national park continued along the worst roads I have experienced in Europe. The road was single lane, simple tarmac with plenty of fords and gravel sections to keep you alert. It should be noted this was for two way traffic despite the width and I was in a bus…small but a bus none the less. Fun!

Reiterating my Lake call from the other day for sure…I’m like a pig in muck here….man I can’t wait to come home to enjoy the goods more often! Let me know if you’re up for any walks or adventures while I’m back in NZ as my midweek activities are limited to running and cooking Mum dinners!

Comments

  1. So sounds like your accommodation in Budva was better than our campsite...good score

    Oh and imagine that road to Sarajevo with food poisoning....even less fun!!!

    Enjoy Sarajevo and Mostar...they are wicked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got some milo biscuits waiting for you Tia Jo! When you get to our house I want to go outside and play with you.

    How was the gelato? We want some too.

    Love from Josh xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye