Skip to main content

Lounging at the Lake

I had taken the advice from Tom and Vicky's adventures back in 2009 to make it to Lake Ohrid (said ock-rid) on the border or Macedonia and Albania. With the temperature in Tirana dragging me down I took the 4pm with my mate Hanna to the Macedonian side of the lake. The noticeable change was the prices and the tourists...hundreds of them. Albania on the other hand  just does not have anything but locals - save a few lost souls. But the tourists were primarily local as the summer holidays are in full swing for those in the Balkan states this month.

We arrived shortly before 10pm to Sunny Lake Hostel in the old city. Here I was made welcome by a familiar face from Budapest and a merry band of solo travellers drifting in for a late night feast of the local Aubergine, Red Pepper and Chilli dip  called Ajvar (said Ivar) with hunks of bread. It was instantly a place I felt at home. Chatter reverted to relaxation and how long could each of us drag this lake time out for. Dahi wins on that score after cycling from Ireland on his way to India - I wonder if he has left yet!

On my first day I was hit by the Herring curse at Lake Ohrid or thats what it will be known as anyway as a thunderstorm swept the city having me diving into a restorant (intentional spelling that is how they spell it here!) for some of the local food and a sample of their wines. Now if you like lakes and you like wine and you like life to be cheap then Macedonia has this in abundance. I really enjoyed the Mustar, Sauvingnon, Merlot and Vervac that I drunk whilst in Ohrid..and yes that does mean I became a lush while I was there. I have succumb to drinking alone in warm climates with a sample of food and a bucket glass. I couldn't be more content with this fact.

The layout of the city on the shores of the lake is simple. 365 churches, a fortress at the top and a lake to dive into for refreshment any time you please.

I only saw a half dozen of the churches but they were all beautiful and one day trip out to Sveti Naum was a highlight with a long day lounging in the sun, reading and swimming.

 Here are some of my photos....can you tell I'm a bit too relaxed for time in front of the little box for spouting about the experience and how serene it is even with thousands of tourists.


I had a revelation during my time in Ohrid that I am a lake girl. As much as I enjoy the rhythm of the sea and its rugged beauty the serenity of a lake is something else...and imagine getting into warm water when you decide this. All those brisk dashes into the lake and attempts to avoid Duck itch as kids were redundant here...just the unadulterated pleasure of swimming, sunshine and relaxation.

On my last night I even saw a swimming marathon with swimmers doing 30km around the lake - not sure how many if any times they cross the border and if they had to stop for Passport control dragging their documents out of their trunks but it was a lot of fun to see the winner and the 100m dash for the 2nd/3rd spot.

Next Destination is Montenegro - but the road would not be direct as I will explain in the next post....

Comments

  1. Hi Jo,

    Looks as if you're having a very adventurous time. Great pictures.

    Keep enjoying
    Take Care
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JM - glad you enjoyed Macedonia and Lake Ohrid. Great blog update! Was cool to Skype and such a small world that we'd stayed in the same hostel. Wonder if that helped with 'feeling at home' like you said about the place?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye