Skip to main content

Through fresh eyes

Living in a city with such variety like London you sometimes miss the small and permanent fixtures which make the city so wonderfully rich. With its grand history through hundreds of generations London like many cities in Europe and Asia really does have more to offer than its New World cousins. 


Celebrating Nic and Cam's
 engagement at Vertigo, Tower 42
I was fortunate to host my old school chum Nicola and her other half Cameron over a couple of weekends in June and July. It was refreshing to notice some of the i iconic London sites through their squeals, elbow grabs, raised eyebrows and turned heads. 


Do you ever look at a Black Cab and think huh it has a Union Jack on it ?  Do you wonder why there are so many Lions around the city adorning bollards, barriers and bridges and not know the significance. Look around at the city and think relative to other cities in the world the buildings are short, and in contrast the new buildings seem so terribly phallic. Wonder where indeed is the city centre and the true hub of the action. Question the fact you don't need to swipe out of a Double Decker or why anyone would not think living in East London was the best place in London to live.   


If you visited London today; with Vodafones mobile campaign featuring the flag on our trademark transport you might think Advertising is the New Black. You would learn the Lions are the emblem of the city the square mile around the Bank of England where many of the Financial sectors have their hub (with secondary offices of larger sizes out East in the old Docklands called Canary Wharf founded in a New World fashion with plenty of phallic symbolic buildings adorning the skyline), the Cultural hub is the West End where you can find Theatres and Restaurants in Covent Garden, go to a Gay Bar (forgive me I am singing the song! Gay Bar! Gay Bar!) , Irish Pub or Nightclubs of the cheddar cheese variety in Soho, and shop along Regents, Bond and Oxford Streets all leading to Hyde Park. Or at least that would be what you would tell a visitor off the street. 


For real London life though I would head away from these areas try 
  • Shoreditch for a more relaxed feel with bars and restaurants to all budgets and welcoming checked shirts and girls in flats in a scene where Graffiti and vintage markets abound. 
  • Notting Hill for Antiques markets, naughties clichéd hang outs and cupcakes are on order (but never seemingly eaten). 
  • Clapham/Battersea/Wandsworth/Putney for wider and leafy streets, with garden bars and antipodeans outnumbering Brits so jandals and shorts are the standard attire and beer, wine and travel stories are the local currency.
As far as living in the East End being the best place in London - I couldn't agree more but don't tell anyone or I'll never be able to afford to buy! 



Comments

  1. You make us miss London. East is definitely best (but we won't tell anyone!). Go Hackney Downs!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B