Skip to main content

an accidental stop over in Warsaw

Berlin was so grim and the prospect of sitting inside for another day or dodging puddles was driving me batty. I went to book on the late train to Krakow and discovered it was full....so my only option to get to Krakow was to leave at 2.40pm and ask the conductor if I could possibly connect to Krakow without making a reservation. Alas the conductor waved me on without understanding my situation. So it was to Krakow via Warsaw that I set off.


I found my way into a 6 seater cabin with a Warsaw Doctor  who works with an Aucklander and two Polish men all looking forward to a weekend with their families. The 7 hour train journey was their regualar Friday commute it seems. We stopped 10 minutes on and were all shuffled by a Electronic Cigarette smoking mother and her grim son for their designgated seats. As I had not reserved a seat I made a fast shuffle and was just grateful for a place to rest in the dry.


We had a nice journey through rainy countryside with dilapidated train stations one after the other. Before reaching Poland the Mother and Child departed and the fight for seats was on from Poznan Glowny where huge groups boarded the train. With little fuss we ensured no-one in our compartment moved and I was later told by The Doc that this is typical Polish - book a seat but not bothered where they finally end up nothing like the Germans!


Shortly before we were to arrive in Warsaw the men all asked when I would arrive in Krakow. When I replied 3am they convinced me to seek alternatives suggesting this would be silly especially when the train was to take 6 hours and it usually takes 3. So I took their advice and ended up embarking at Warsaw for the night.


After 3 hours walking searching for a hostel I have secured a room in the Wilson Hostel in the Venus room. Everyone here is so very friendly and many people were helpful giving directions. I like this city. It has a professional like vibe  and a few stunning buildings taken in enroute (but not on my camera!). I'm settled  now after having a good chat with a Polish woman who is fast convincing me to ditch the SEA part of my tour and head straight to India where she spent a year!


My train leaves at 7.12am so I should really get some kip.


Other items of note. My mobile number is no longer working so refrain from texting me as I may never receive them and I have lost the sim card which Liz is trying to reconnect my number with...my headphones have died and I am surviving on little food. Me thinks the lows at the start of the trip can only improve my experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B