Skip to main content

Climbing a Buda Hill and bathing in Pest water

I arrived in Budapest, Hungary after a sleeper train from Krakow. The train was a delight and I would recommend this route to anyone...and it cost me £18 (booked two weeks in advance from London). The rain seemed to be following me still and the train station the hostel was close to was NOT the one I arrived into! I was such a grump on arrival. Week one was really rather tough with rubbish weather and missing home. Thank you  for all your supportive messages this week I have needed them!

After taking a load off I went for a walk along the Danube River. The river runs from Germany through the city of Budapest right out to the Black Sea. The river divides the two former cities of Buda and Pest (said Pecht). Buda is the hilly posh part of town whilst Pest is the flat hub of the city. I was staying in Pest of course!

Hungarian Parliament Buildings , Pest
The river walk was a nice opportunity to see the city and cross the river a couple of times to take a better vantage point of the pretty Pest buildings including the Parliament, Basilica and Central Market where I later ended up feasting on fruit. Budapest seemed to offer a chilled out atmosphere and I was able to take it easy on my first day. 

My second day was much the same with a structured free walking tour around the city explaining the sites I had seen the day before. Hungary had partnered Germany in the two world wars and finally became occupied by their Allies in the final years of the WWII. The occupation by the Germans was followed by the “liberation” by the Russians. The Russians of course bought communism with them for the ride and the country changed dramatically.

At the time of “liberation” the Russians erected a statue of Lady Liberty on the hills of Buda overlooking the river. She holds up an olive branch between her hands and is the picture of modernity. Such is the depth of commi sympathy at the time of the end of the Cold War suggestions were made to remove the symbol of communism to the locals, instead they shroud the statue for 3 days in a white cloth and revealed Lady Liberty as if new. My tour guide was in no way convinced and everyday sees the statue as a bitter reminder of the past.

The changing periods of rule meant most of their central cities most beautiful buildings were badly damaged. The course of the reconstruction is clear today on the Pest side particularly as they started on the riverside and are working their way back. It makes for an expensive river walk for drinks and food but once you pass the workers you know you have hit real Pest. Amongst some of the beautifully reconstructed buildings of Art Noveau (and any period with Neo-prefixing it) are some ghastly communist style slap ups. Built quickly and with poor quality it makes for patchwork city.

Life is hard in Pest Water
Now Budapest is not just known for its buildings and river views but the natural springs which draw in the masses to help cure their ails. I was no exception…I wanted a spa treatment Ottoman style. I headed for the famous city park baths (Szechenyi Bath) – mostly as this was the one I had seen in pictures from friends and was easily accessible AND not the naked version or dividing the sexes which in truth isn’t a problem for me on my own. heyho! The baths have several rooms and a large outdoor section where men play chess and old couples conoodle. I ran into some of the inter-railing gang I had first met in Berlin which was nice and made for a fun time of people watching and comparing travel tales.





I left Budapest feeling fresh and happy after a wee run around the island of Katherine. Runners high maybe but really it’s a beautiful city where your pennies go the distance.


Thanks for the MonoPod workmates....this is my first play and takes in the Buda by Night

Comments

  1. I love that night shot Jo...wicked!!!

    Boo - I want to go back to Szechenyi Baths...

    Your Mum arrives up in 6 days..better start getting all the weeds out of the garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that castle pic is wicked..and just like I remember it.

    Glad you had a good time there!!!

    Fancinho x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B