Skip to main content

Winners and Losers of The Big Adventure



Everyone loves a good awards ceremony at the end of an epic journey. So in preparation for all these questions I have come up with the following to sate your appetite. Photos are on FB as usual.

Favourites of The Big Adventure
Sight - seeing trees growing out of temples was cool at Angkor Wat but what was jaw dropping was seeing the curl of cloud of the back of Mount Everest. The top of the world really is awesome.
Cuteness – seeing a little boy in nappies playing in a huge bowl of rice in a Laos market
City – Sarajevo. It’s a beautiful city with a heart breaking recent past. The food, the people, the sunshine, the environment, the religion and the peacefulness
Trek – Everest Base Camp – could it really be any other. Pinnacle of a Lifetime in more ways than one.
Moment –  being at Eden Park when my All Blacks won the Rugby World Cup and reaching Base Camp of Mt Everest share the tops of my list
Funniest Moment - having my bum pinched by a tribal Burmese girl and the ensuing laughter of the group of woman and my reaction to slap the back of her hand.
Country – Myanmar
Lake – Lake Ohrid, Albania and Macedonia
Beach - Mariri Beach, Kerala - I saw a Dolphin. Tied with Riverton Beach - I saw only my nephew and sister for miles and miles!
Experience - the entire Rugby World Cup tournament. From Opening game, to Homestead stadium for my 30th with the family, to pool matches, quarters, semis and the WINNING FINAL and the after party!
Sunset - Bagan with Ayesha on a horse and cart.
Sunrise - tough - probably in the haze of the RWC wandering around with a bottle of wine and silly grins on our faces.
Watching a Buddha getting its teeth brushed and face washed and with super hero sweet tea and then riding out to see fishermen cast a line out under the world’s longest teak bridge. Serenity.
Food - tea leaf salad is my best find but Banana Lassi’s have been my health companion. Since having one in every new environment I haven’t been sick, its local probiotic. Take note!
Mode of Transport – Trains – I have had some of my best experiences and worst experiences on a train – all because of the people on them and the fact you can get up and walk around! So you don’t get a tv like an aeroplane but using cheap airlines results in no tv’s anyway!
Best service – India Hotel, Lucknow. They gave me two desserts. Easy score for me.
Most organised traveller - Ayesha wins this, mostly for her patience to let me join her as she built her plan for Myanmar
Best hotel (homestays with friends and  family top this list naturally but the nights I paid for accomodation) Aquarius in Lake Inle, Myanmar. I was given local medicine and had my back rubbed when I was sick, then they gave me a gift when I left, perfect for my Christmas Tree collection.
Fastest wifi connection - Bangkok - unfortunately not in my room but excellent speed
Cheapest internet - Hyderabad at R15 (22p) per hour (in fairness I rarely bought internet time travelling with my laptop
Best book on the road - Mama Tina by Christina Noble. The stories of an Irish street child helping the street children of Vietnam. So true how despite your background if you have white skin in the East they think you are rich. And a smile and response to every person who says hello is the key to humanity. Its worked wonders for my trip.
Harold the Harrods bear a symbol of my LOVE
Most Surprising Moment – when I said goodbye to my niece she turned on her heel and said “see you on skype” – where are the sad tears?
Falling in Love - when my phone told me in a text message that I was an Aunt again....Harold was part of to become a short term travel companion





The Groan of The Big Adventure  
Sight - Waynard caves in northern Kerala India which wasn't a cave but took 2 hours to see. And all the missed opportunities that day with the Wildlife Sanctuary being closed! Although I should say the poverty. But somehow these people can still smile. I wasn't at 37 degrees and 100% humidity with a couple of "innocent" American baby doctors. Does that make it an experience and not a sight?
City - KL. I just wasn't in the mood. I wanted to be backpacking not in a city!
Trek – The least safe was the walk in the North West of India from Manali to Lake Bhrigu. Mostly due to the terrible guide, and lack of decent equipment in the conditions.
Lake – I visited a lot of ponds on the premise of them being Lake. Water soothes me so I have no complaint on the beauty of the ‘Lake’.
Moment - a Frenchman driving towards me head on, on the Haast Pass and him not apologising after our collision. The support shown afterwards was kind. I still universally hate the French. None of their countrymen have dispelled this experience.
Thailand - looks pretty BORING!
Country – Thailand. In a word - Soulless.
Beach - although I have seen prettier beaches than others I don't have a least favourite. And for memories alone it might be Mission Bay, Auckland. Go figure.
Experience – sitting on the Koh Phi Phi beach in Thailand on my own. It’s a decidedly lonely place despite the fact it looks like paradise and is overpopulated….I was looking for some culture and it has been completely stripped of this due to tourism.
Sunset – not possible. The light for sunsets are always enchanting – and if not its tea time!
Sunrise - don't have one. Sunrises are always a great way to start the day...although I can only actually remember a few of them!
Food – Momo’s – after months searching for dumplings I thought I had found my saviour with this Tibetan dish, but having it every day whilst sick for the EBC trek has turned me right off. Such a shame!
Mode of Transport – Buses – I can manage them for 10 hours+ but I hate them. More than camels, donkeys, elephants and definitely worse than walking. The reason I get through a 10hour+ journey is remembering that people work this long in a day…and then I remember my desk and my computer and my tired eyes and feel ALIVE!
Worst Service – Dunedin Car Rental aka Queenstown Car Rental. Charged us for petrol after we wrote off their fully insured car and had to hitch then pay for a cab 3 hours away from Queenstown. Worthy of a letter to Fair Go!
Least Organised Traveller – me! Each day is a new day….
Worst Hotel – Greenfields Hotel, Hoi An, Vietnam. The housekeeping staff stole around £200 in various currencies over the course of the week. They put on ghastly sunset cocktails around a rather filthy pool. It is the cheapest place in town but don’t stay there!!! Although I stayed in a horrid place in Split, Croatia.
Slowest Wifi/Internet – Myanmar. The country doesn’t have a mobile service and the internet takes about 20minutes to load a single non-html page. PAINFUL….I’ll say it again a very carefully managed military jaunta….no access to Blogger you see. (in the cities the monks fill the internet cafes on facebook!). AND Melbourne Australia...impossible!
Most Expensive Internet – any international hotel
Worst Book on the Road – An Idiot Abroad, Karl Pilkington. The only good quality in this book is its easy English and short sentences. I gifted it to a young monk in Laos to help his language skills. Hideously embrassingly I gave as a gift to a friend last Christmas - humble apologies if I had known what a drone it was I would have never subjected you to this!
Arriving in riotous Kathmandu
Longest journey – for once it wasn’t the flight from London to the Southern Hemisphere! 28 hours on a train from Hyderabad (North central India) to Kolkata seemed bad but it was the journey from Darjeeling in North East Indian mountains to Kathmandu Nepal and being deposited in a protest of thousands that topped it off. 42 hours locked in and I had to walk an hour on account of the protests to find the city centre…with my pack. Grumpy Jo! First impressions didn’t last here. It was well worth the effort!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye