Skip to main content

My Big Adventure Book Recommendations


Passing time while travelled usually contains a few books that will never see time spent on my bookshelf as I pass them on to the next eligible backpacker with a book to exchange. Here are a list of my favourites…..from book shops and cafĂ© shelves, shared, returned and recycled.

  • The Secret Letters of the Monk who sold his Ferrari, Robin Sharma – a great read when you are looking for something more in life. I will be giving this as a gift to many of my old colleagues!
  • Q&A, Vikas Swarup- known by millions across the world as the “Slum Dog Millionare” – this has to be the loosest basing of a book to movie I have read. The premise of the Who Wants to be a Millionaire and the fact they thought he cheated match but I don’t think a single question matches….oh hold on maybe the one of the Taj Mahal. Definitely read the book. It’s a fantastic piece of modern Indian literature. And I met a few of characters in Agra that reminded me of him!
  • One Day, David Nicholls, Funnily enough I had this recommended to me months after I read it. Another movie made from a much loved novel….but the book trumps of course. The relationships are better and the girl more plain than Anne Hathaway (at least in the book I read, maybe you have prettier visions than me!). A delicious look at a relationship between best friends, through the course of a day per year.  A definite beach holiday read. (It saw me through my worst jetlag!)
  • People of the Book, Geraldine Brooks- the author an Australian and former journalist in Sarajevo during the war years this book stole my heart not just for ticking off many cities I love but telling the story of a Book. A story about how a book comes to us today, it’s wonderful life from author to restoration. The copy I read clearly had a story which I will never know and that is of course part of the romance. Perfect for the concept of book gifting – more poignant in a time when the ebook is growing in popularity! I still have that copy...
  • Mama Tina, Christina Noble – the true story of an Irish street kid now helping the children of Hoi Chi Min City, Vietnam. Mama Tina taught me to appreciate that everyone has a right to be acknowledged, and just because you are a white woman travelling the world you really don’t have to have money, just desire.
  • The Girl in the Picture, Denise Chong - a stunning autobiography of the victim of a napalm attack during the Vietnam war which is seered in our minds as one of the most powerful photographic images ever taken. A beautiful story of struggle and triumph, for a victim of war, made famous by a photo known the world over, living under a communist regime.
  • Finding George Orwell in Burma, Emma Larkin – a wonderful insight into the country and events which inspired the author of some of the 20th centuries most timeless novels. A highly recommended read for any George Orwell fans or anyone travelling in Myanmar. And a helpful piece of literature to make you understand why Orwells 1984 is banned in Myanmar!
  • The Alternative Guide to Burma, Elena Jotow and Nicholas Ganz - a perfect coffee table book or a book for Burmese lovers. Unlike the LP it doesn't have hotels and places to eat but a real picture of a country breaking through the glass of a military junta and seeing freedom in its history.
  • View from the Summit, Sir Edmund Hillary – if you’re a Kiwi, a person who loves adventure, adventurers or need inspiration for sheer determination look no further. This is a brutely honest account of his entire life, by the man who summited the top of the world FIRST. He is my hero. I always knew that, but now I know just why. I am privileged to have seen some of his work and enjoy the Kumbu Valley that call him their Father.
  • Binge Trading, Seth Freedman, - a book in the same vein as City columnist Geraint Anderson's City Boy. Worthy of a read if you want to be reminded why life on the road away from The City is good for the soul, if not for your body and relationships!
  • Eat Pray LoveElizabeth GIlbert - It took me 11 months and 3 weeks to pick this book up which might seem surprising since notion seems inline with my Big Adventure. It really is a great book and deserves all the quodos that makes it so desperately sought after in Hollywood…but be assured the book has so much more depth than the movie. I think my Mum will enjoy it as much as my 20-something friends. A story of personal growth over a year of travel in Italy, India and Indonesia. I went to all 3…and my experiences were vastly different…I got drunk in Italy every night but the food was definitely the centre, I did yoga in India twice but didn’t find God per-say. I found more peace in Myanmar (ironic really) than the crowded streets of India (I think the ashram assisted her experience) and by no means did I find love in Indonesia – perhaps loathing could be more appropriate for me. Alas my heart has been opened and I am satisfied. You should read it – if nothing else for a decent view of all Italian food, versions of god and a sweet love story to remind you there is always someone somewhere who was sent to this earth to love you entirely. (Sounds promising!)
  • White Tiger, Aravind Adiga- An easy read seen as an insight into Modern India
  • 2 States, Chetan Bhagat – a hilarious modern novel by a former UBS Punjabi geek’s love marriage to his South Indian MBA class mate. So sweet and real and insightful. I look forward to reading more of his books.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye