Skip to main content

Taj Mahal Unvisited


Revisiting Shanti Hotel rooftop
 Debs and I stayed in 4 years before...
In April 2008 on my first visit to India with my good friend Deborah Kelly we made headways for a day at the Wonder of the World and the greatest monument to love in the world. The beautiful Taj Mahal. I could wax lyrically about this day but in truth the security guard wouldn't let me take in tampons and we were to spend all day in there so I had to try and explain what a tampon was to an Indian man....heavens! Alas we langished in the grounds from lunch time till well past sunset. Taking in the changing light on the marble masterpiece. And as we enjoyed photos on "Diana's chair" just four days after arriving in India I promised I would come back. To see the Taj Mahal from the otherside of the river...and the Red Fort down the road which looked pretty stunning in the distance.

So here I am four and a half years later standing at the gates of the Taj Mahal - but never to re-enter. I couldn't be happier. I do think that I will return one day with someone I love but  the experience I sought on this solo voyage was the alternative view.

Due to changes in access rules no boats are allowed on the river running just behind the Taj so this was out. Instead I commissioned a rickshaw driver to take me across for £3 and to wait for me as I enjoyed a sunset from the pre-monsoon river bed. But just like the boat restrictions the barbed wire held us back from the river banks themselves. It was a lovely way to see this magnificent structure and to marvel at the life along the river it shares with funeral pyres, farmers and commercial Indian life. I was told to come back in 2 weeks for the best reflections but with the Olympics beckoning I had other ideas!

To continue my alternative view of the Taj I took to the streets of Agra the city that surrounds and breathes with the tourist trade provided by the Taj Mahal. Here I enjoyed walking down back alleys talking to folk usng cast irons and working carefully to create Taj-esq marble works, dusting off the lime to show me their intricate designs and craftmanship. Book binders and tailors, carpenters and replica Taj Mahal  marble carvers. I met Slumdog Millionare characters and we compared stories of movie stars and their love of Bollywood. It was pretty sweet and made me content in this fiercly touristy town.


What I really came to see was the Red Fort also known as Agra Fort. Its a beautiful example of Mughal 16th century architecture and housed the imprisoned creator of the Taj Mahal, Shah Jahan, when his son took control of the region. The marble works were beautiful and getting lost in its myriad of passages was a great way to spend a day. I would definitely recommend visiting here when in Agra - either a day each at the Taj and Agra Fort or morning at the Fort and sunset at the Taj. They have an excellent audio guide too...but the view from the Fort over to the Taj Mahal itself was something very cool....FB has these photos. It really is quite lovely to see how a mughal was imprisoned by his son in harsh surroundings of marble overlooking the shrine to his favourite wife and amongst some of the most sumptuous materials which have lasted the last 4 centuries rather grandly. And having a private mosque with inlaid marble work facing west for prayers to Mecca. Life is tough at the top.

BACKPACKER WARNING - the Taj Mahal costs about £10 to enter....its not like the rest of India! But they do offer you a bottle of water for your troubles and you skip the hour long line Indians have to endure for their 10 Rupee entrance fee. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye