Skip to main content

The capital of Kindness - Lucknow

Arriving in deepest darkest night I saw the otherside of the city where cyclo drivers sleep on their bicycles propped awkwardly across the seat in the heat of the dusty summer night. It seemed like a capital of poverty not the capital city of Utter Pradesh the state the world over knows as the home of the Taj Mahal. Because of this I think Lucknow is a sorely missed tourist spot in India’s north. The architecture and in particular the locals are a true treasure.

Enjoying a refreshing Saffron Milk drink
with a sea of morning old boys 
I had two days in Lucknow – one of which was mostly spent at the train station trying to organise a departure. It turns out with a bit of tantrum they do put you a wait list and being a tourist quota (2 seats per class in a sleeper train) I would secure a seat in my preferred 3AC to my next stop Rishikesh. I had flagged a cyclo driver down and with no change had him wait for me as I arranged my ticket. Curiously I would see him the following day 5km taking a ride and he gave me a delightful toothless smile and a wave as I zoomed past riding proper Indian lady-like pillion on a motorbike. Even in India it’s a small world.

The Palace Indian Freedom fighters including Gandi
 sought refuge from the Raj






On my second day I was collected at the hotel at 6.45am by a Professor of tourism working for spare change at the Utter Pradesh tourist office over the holidays. He was to be my guide on the Lucknow Walking Tour. For a sweet INR50 I spent the next 6 hours with Ashish being taken down back alleys of the Chowk to places where Gandiji (ji added to Gandi to show a sign of respect) and the freedom fighters would gather in a private palace and mosques. Admiring incredible Hindu-Islamic-Persian architecture at the Bara Imambara and the beautiful collision of these styles and techniques to protect the city. I was gifted breads, sweet black tea, the tantalising sweet jalebi, a sheet of silverleaf pummelled by hand, a gram of saffron from a Nepali dealer who was delighted that I had been to his home town Kathmandu and finally a set of 6 hand embroidered hankies. It was just a shame the man who made mens wedding Sherwani (jackets) didn’t gift me one of his stunning creations – despite letting me try them on!

I haven’t taken a city walking tour I don’t think since Berlin on the first day of the Big Adventure – or certainly none have made the same impression on me as these two have. I just wish the locals knew just how beautiful their city was. But whilst they don’t – it’s a tourist free zone. People weren’t particularly interested in me. No one wanted my photo – more curious about my fascination with the buildings I was gawking at!

The city is also known as the home of the Kebab but as a pescotarian this is obviously lost on me. Instead I dined at the India Hotel and would recommend it to anyone for a great hotel meal. 

I cannot recommend coming to Lucknow enough. It may look like a big dusty state capital city, but it holds great treasures that anyone who admires architecture and kindness would enjoy.

 India’s hidden treasure.



Comments

  1. Such a shame you missed the kebab! You'd think vegetarian might be an option!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye