Skip to main content

Vietnam, Good Morning


In honesty I was kind of over South East Asia when it came time to go to Vietnam. Alas I had committed to meeting my school friend Amy on the 24th of March for a couple of days to see Halong Bay which I had heard was stunning.

After a short flight from Luang Prabang (learning buying flights in country is cheaper than outside so long term travellers be heartened some things are cheaper left to the last minute) avoiding the 27 hour bus journey which was the only other option to Hanoi. I was then to make my way to Hoi An. The information centre was the cheapest option by far for the overnight sleeper bus so anyone taking time in Hanoi I would suggest this as your best option for buses – but not the Halong Bay tour.

The bus journey was interesting starting with a motorbike ride across town, then a mini van before reaching a bus with actual beds….so novel. As a rookie I sat on the side of the driver meaning I had head lights coming at me all night. We stopped for a long time around 11pm when all the bus was asleep and the lights out. I looked out the window to the oncoming lane of traffic and saw the limp body of a motorcyclist with his head covered with a torn piece of corrugated iron  and the bent and broken front of a large truck. My gasps of “dear god” must have roused a few people. Sleep was fitful for the next 15 hours after that. I calculated with the population base that there must have been a couple of births along the 19 hour journey to balance the sadness of this accident, and the three weddings helped sway my mood.

Hoi An
Hoi An is possibly the prettiest city in South East Asia. The Portuguese colonial architecture is charming and the colours of the city in a warm sunshine yellow reminded me much of Hilbre Ave and the yellow home my Mum has fashioned. I had an express purpose in Hoi An, and that was to get some serious tailoring done. I wanted to learn the end to end process of pattern making and really get a grip on the art of tailoring; after all I have toyed with the idea of throwing in the corporate towel to do this in the UK. In reality tailoring in Hoi An is now a massive industry. Every tailor I visited (there are 400 in the town!) thrust a Next catalogue at me (perhaps equivalent of Farmers clothing section, for NZers) and the patterns were well tuned after years of serving western tourists. I tried to take a picture to one tailor and instead of producing a billowing silk shirt it was returned tailored with darts and shaping and had none of my specifications. Although lovely in its own right it took me going to the family home to see the final alterations made to get it mildly close to my design. On the other hand I had a beautiful silk dress made in the fabric market to match that of a Burberry design I found…not bad for $US35 instead of £499! The market tailors are seen to be cheapest and most open to bargaining. They also have the pick of the fabrics, if they don’t stock your choice of colour, stretch or pattern, one of their buddies will. I had a shirt and my favourite shorts reproduced and a pair of navy cashmere stretch trousers. All perfectly fitted first time.  I chose a well reputed suit tailor for my work suit and was very satisfied with his proficiency and service. He is available for on-going tailoring via email as well, so it’s nice to know for $US110 I can get a suit to fit – best if it comes from the Next catalogue though obviously! 

I enjoyed a morning at the beach between tailoring sessions and can highly recommend taking a bike in Hoi An. I ate well in Hoi An also and had possibly the best Fettuccine Fungi at the Green Mango and account that to the awesome Mushrooms in Vietnam. Green Mango was a perfect European treat for me as a solo diner as the staff were all desperate to practise their English and I was served with a delicious appetiser and breads with Anchor butter. My pet hate eating alone is that I either eat loads – with a starter and main that most would share and often err on caution to save being hungry!

On the opposite side of the recommendation spectrum avoid Greenfield Hotel I stayed there for the week thinking the free cocktail hour was a great way to meet travellers which is novel in SE Asia. In reality it was damp and I ended up getting £200 stolen in all my left over currencies from my room by housekeeping. I have no spare cash reserves now so I guess that exhausts that happening again – my love of Hoi An and Bangkok are matched to some degree!

I took a flight back to Hanoi for £27. It seemed preferable to the 19 hour return bus ride!

Halong Bay
Amy and Kat met me in Hanoi in the mid afternoon and we made our way again to the central city to see the mayhem and learn how to cross the road. We had one express mission and that was to find the best Halong Bay tour for three days two nights for an affordable rate. I had spoken to many travellers to get a few ideas about price. After some careful research and many questions and some rather ridiculous bargaining (on my part!) we scored a great trip for $117 each including all food and transport including a kayak excursion. So sure were the organisers at the Youth Hostel that we didn’t have to pay until we got back to Hanoi.

On arrival in Halong Bay we were pretty shocked by the white boats. The picturesque bay is punctuated by hundreds of large sleeper boats generally sleeping around 14. The Tourism board has instructed all boats must to be painted white from their dark brown by the end of April. Our boat was one of the last to take up paint, so we looked antique in an enchanting way (the others haven’t quite got more than one coat over the dark brown making for a bloody ugly white wash look).

Our tour took us deep into the beautiful bay of Halong on the China, Vietnam border leading to the South China Sea. The first day took us to the “surprise caves” which despite their over population of tourists (frog marched in with thousands of others) was pretty stunning. Surprising mostly by their sheer size. I would suggest 200m in depth and 50 metres high. It seemed very grand. The lighting made it more hilarious than magnificent, but definitely well worth the visit. From here I joined Juan one of the French guys on our boat - who I understood to be returning from an Intelligence conference (or maybe my thoughts of 007 where getting carried away in this idyllic setting) – on a kayak and we went and discovered a few caves and enjoyed some quiet away from the motors of the hundreds of boats.

The following morning we were taken to another boat and enjoyed the Deluxe tour which meant nicer food, stiff chairs and included a cycle ride into Cat Bar islands village and another cave to see where Viet Cong hid during the war and finally a visit to Monkey Island, where we saw….well Monkeys unsurprisingly. We stayed the night in Cat Bar Island and enjoyed a drink and a head and neck massage for $1 at a Kiwi pub. The pub is adorned with Speight’s posters from home and it made me very homesick. Having Amy there probably added to it and sated it in the same step! (Tom you would love it – except for the obvious unavailability of Speights itself). Our final day was a direct boat back to Halong City and then a bus to Hanoi.

It was a really worthwhile trip and although the weather at this time of year is often not best for seeing the full view of the bay we had a brilliant second day of sunshine so were able to see both the cloudy ethereal view and the clarity of sunshine.

Finally in Hanoi we went to see the Water Puppets show which was a short but sweet introduction to Vietnamese life and the art of water puppetry.  I couldn’t have asked for a better end to the South East Asia stint….well that was until I got a text message the following day telling me my niece Isla was born!

[BOOK RECOMMENDATION: I had picked up The Girl in the Picture to read whilst in Vietnam and I can highly recommend it to anyone interested in the war or that has/wants to visit Vietnam. A really interesting insight into the circus of the subject of one of humanities greatest images of wartime fear and civilian impact]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye