Skip to main content

Shaking the Ghosts of the Past - RWC Quarters


I arrived back in Auckland on Saturday lunchtime after a big week down south to be greeted by brother Tom. I was taking him to the Quarter Final for his 30th birthday present (all be it 2.5 years later!). The Quarter was between England and France. I have never donned the English colours but I proudly stripped to my white Football Jersey in support of my second home. Not least because some Frenchies tried to knock me off by driving on the wrong side of the road that week. Nothing like a serious car crash to sort out your loyalties.

Front Yard Footy on the Fan Trail
We took the last of the Fan Trail to the game at Eden Park and enjoyed the tv's being set up in peoples front yards to see the game in Wellington (Ireland v Wales with Wales taking the prized first post in the Semi Finals). I don't have any images of the game and I can bearly remember the intricacies of it but I do remember one thing early on, I was backing the wrong horse. The crowd was mostly made up of Christchurch folk as the Quarters were meant to be held in Chch prior to the devestating earthquakes in February which destroyed the legendary Lancaster Park. It made for a rather somber and reserved Southern crowd. France took the next place for the Semi v Wales. This would be prove to be an interesting Semi Final no doubt. We called in at RWC Party HQ Fran and Grahams house in near by Mt Eden, and finally made my way to town to enjoy some celebrations in the Fan Zone with my girlfriends and to fondly farewell the English...funnily enough there were few of them out.

Sunday was the day of interest it saw the Australia v South African match kick off at 6pm in Wellington followed by the journey to Eden Park for the AB's v Argentina at 8.30pm.

It was a big day with many terrible demons to be shaken for us All Black fans. I had been in Cardiff with friends Chloe and Chrissie and my Mum in 2007, where I had paid double for our tickets as I had been caught by a ticket tout making it a very expensive demise for me. We AB's have been known to choke over the past 20 years not lifting the coveted William Webb Ellis since the first RWC in 1987 held here in NZ. To get through a challenge from the impassioned Argentinians was our key stepping stone to glory...or so I thought at the time.

My London Kiwi former colleague and travel friend Rene picked me up at 3pm and we made our way to Ponsonby for some Fatimas (an Auckland favourite fast food eatery) and walked the Fan Trail from half way. We called in for a few beers along the way taking in parts of the real challenge down country at the Cake Tin and meeting one of Rene's childhood friends along the way. There was Flamenco dancing and a NZ Police Officer leading the tour buses stopped the lights and encouraged us to cheer for "its the All Blacks! Its the All Blacks!!". Nothing like a man who knows how cool he job is! We took in the last 20 minutes of the South African v Australia match that our friends were at in Wellington in Bond St Bar. We were devastated with the result as we were looking forward to shared battle the following weekend with our South Adrican friends. We were quite surprised to see the locals in the bar (which entirely emptied at the end of the game) that the rest of the punters where cheering with delight with an Australian win. An Australian v AB Semi was bound to be harder than one against the South Africans or would it?

Kopa o Pango Haka from the AB's v Argentina
Rene and I walked across the road to the Eden Park  making a bee line for a drink and a one stop for the loo. I was upset to discover the French Dumbass Drivers from my Haast Experience sitting in very close proximity.
The All Blacks dominated on the field while the passionate Argentinians continued to show their true colours off the field with joyous chanting and singing. My sigh of relief beating the new southern hemisphere 'Rugby Championship' (wikipedia tells me this is the name for it so it must be right!) team was immense. I can shake off the Quarter Final in Cardiff now. But what a road we had ahead of us.

As the text messages rolled in after the game - not of excitement but clearly of relief as everyones concern was being sent to me for my South African friends. In my haste to pass on the love I misplaced my phone in the hungry Portaloo forcing my night to revolve around my current company! Thanks Rene for making it a great night in the Fan Zone dancing to some of New Zealands most classic tunes (Dragon, Exponents and FFD take a bow) and dragging me home at 4am.

Comments

  1. thank you Jo, it was a special day, fondly remembered...! Ren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye