Skip to main content

November Nuptials

I had the great pleasure of attending Chris and Jodie Schriek's wedding at Trents Vineyard in Christchurch on Friday. It was a wonderful day of celebration. Chris greeted us at the cars along with his posy of pals in fine Black dinner suits. Chris's Mum fussed with roses for the boys as we took glasses of sparkling wine to the gardens of the vineyard.

The ceremony was heartfelt and simple. Chris's tears on Jodie's arrival to the aisle was worthy of man size tissues and summoned smiles of joy from us all.

The Bride and Groom had met at an All Black game in Cardiff when their tour company had not purchased enough tickets for the sold out game. I had the pleasure of being there that day to see their blossoming sparks of love and on Friday seeing this sealed with a kiss and a pinch of the brides bum 5 years on I couldn't be more happy!

You can't see Chris's hand!
We enjoyed canapés and more sparkles before being seated for a delicious buffet meal. Speeches were brilliant. With Father of the Bride, Mother of the Groom Debbie Schriek spoke in the absence of Chris's late father Jakob, someone we all missed throughout day. Chris's men started with Craig Marshall our old school friend toasting his friend, who, regardless of the miles or the time remains to be a stalwart of life. Jodie's old flatmate proclaimed his man love for Chris and Telegrams from across the world were read by another of the grooms men. Finally Chris's brother Matt made another toast to the Bride and Groom from the family. All were funny and heartfelt. Jodie's stepdad made another fine speech of love for the couple and Jodies' maid of honour gave some pearls of wisdom to Chris that allowing Jodie to always feel like she is correct.

Chris and Jodie first dance set the tone for the dancing with some fine moves that surpassed our Gore High School Ball Dancing lessons. We partied into the night with a band that played brilliant rock hits and Chris closed the night with playing guitar for the final tune.

The following day we enjoyed a lamb on the spit at the new Mr and Mrs Schrieks house in Halswell. A relaxed affair which saw us all unwound and making a date for a reunion for the next set of Weddings in a fortnight back home in Gore.

The weekend was wonderful and so lovely to spend the time with old school friends who had travelled from near and far to celebrate with a true friend and his wonderful girl who we have shared many great times with. Myself and many others in London, others in Christchurch, travelling through the world, sharing hockey trips, all with shared experiences which make a life long friendship that makes you so happy to share in their special day.

As I travelled south the Monday following to join my Mum to celebrate another wedding day I took the chance to compare what weddings were like 41 years previous.

My Mum and Dad were married n the Heriot Presbyterian Church on Saturday the 7th of November 1970. The photos taken in the Church neighbours garden by Arthur Bremford (possibly the only photographer in the Eastern Southland and West Otago region in the time!) make Mum look like she has a tree growing from her head. The reception was held at the Kelso Town Hall. Mum can't recall who her MC was but distinctly remembers the car being put on blocks and Dad being grumpy that they didn't get off to a smooth start to marriage as they left for Alexandra for their first night of marriage. She remembers there being beer but no wine per say on the day. So not the drunken affairs we see today by any stretch. Just a mere 5 days into marriage in Christchurch having not been used to sleeping with someone, Dad rolled over and belted Mum in her chest. After all he was an old dog at 38 and she was a spinster at 30 so they were set in their ways! Oh how life was different 41 years ago.

Dad may not be here with us to celebrate the last 9.5 years of the 41 but he was ever present in our discussions last night. Through  richer and poorer, sickness and health my Mum and Dad showed me what marriage was. I can only hope that Chris and Jodie along with Megan and Kyle later this month can emulate such a long and rich marriage. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye