Skip to main content

Kick Off - Welcome Home for the RWC

Home. Its such a simple concept but to feel it as soon as you walk off a plane is something else. I was greeted by no less than a holagram of a rugby pass on green carpet on the threshold to customs and welcomed by my big bro in his NZ Rugby World Cup kit with a car decked in All Black Flags. Rugby World Cup MAGIC!

Over the next couple of days I soaked up the North Shore hospitality seeing Birkenhead support Argentina and the French welcomed in Takapuna. It really is such a great atmosphere to be a part of.

Opening Day rolled around and after a bit of a hiccup finding a person to sit next too (who in Auckland would not want to see the opening match of the Rugby World Cup in NZ honestly!) the day lifted off.

With the gathering crowd at Tom and Vicky's coming from Wellington and Timaru we set off for the ferry from Birkenhead Point. Tom and I sprinted for the ferry meant to leave at 1.55 and did not secure a birth until 2.45 due to overcrowding. This is were I met the eventual ticket taker Kevin - brother of my brothers boss and Uncle of my school friends. Gotta love the small world I live in. The ferry was adorned with flags and it was a great way to enter Queens Wharf being thrown right in the throng of Party Central.

We approached the Viaduct and as we entered the outskirts were cornered off with rope and loud speakers stating "the Viaduct is now full please seek alternatives where possible". Knowing we were some of the lucky few with tickets to the game we turned around and made our way to a bar for some cheeky refreshments before taking the train to Eden Park. We reached Britomart Train Station at 5.20. We were in a huge crowd and were pushed through the barriers at 5.45 before boarding the train at 6pm. We arrived at Eden Park shortly after 6.30pm. Now for all you foreign readers there has been a huge debacle about the trains and people missing the game. But as you can see if you go early in big crowds you will get there an hour early! I was early folks...clearly a very important day. We all know I have a habit of being 'delayed'.

Eden Park was pumping. The Tongan Massive was out in force, and Kapa Haka groups (Maori performance groups) around every corner making me squeeze myself with pride for being from a Pacific Nation. I grabbed a bit of food from the Mobil station where the huge pie warmer had cleared out and couldn't get restocked with all the hungry revellers taking them straight off the little man baker. Its so nice to be home! I made my way to my seat in the North Stand in the corner end of the ground. I sat next to a girl from Manchester so we had a brilliant night.

The great performance of opening night at the Rugby World Cup at Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand began. Over 30 minutes we saw the story of New Zealand and a great display of rugby with a little chap running around the field with a lit ball. It was a great performance and felt quite Olympic Opening'esque...which I have never seen before for the opening game but perhaps I have never taken notice?

The Tongans kicked off the challenge with their haka and was followed by a stirring Ka Mate Haka which I was stoked they are using for the RWC. Its something that I think is so Kiwi and the new haka just isn't as so internationally recognisable.

The game was a solid game of massive hits that from my vantage point like being scissor cut by two massive men but each of time they walked away rearing for more. It is such a gladiatorial game after all. Although the All Blacks didn't dominate the way I had hoped they put up a solid performance for me on the night. With one defensive line break that had me leaping for joy.

The real story of the night started in the 71st minute when my seat mate Kevin's son in law Alisona Taulmalolo came on the field. Sona was the utility prop for Tonga and took charge at scrum time. He had a massive impact on the final stages of play and Tonga put great pressure on the try-line and Sona charged across the line. I have never cheered for an opposition player to score a try against the All Blacks but No.17 for Tonga changed my tune. It was brilliant to share it with his Father-in-law and be the two people in the stand jumping up and down whilst the blackout looked on like we were loonies (imagine two white folk in All Black and Kurow (home of Richie McCaw) jerseys shouting for a Tongan try.

The final score was 41-10. Well done to Tonga for bringing a solid performance to the opening match.

I am in New Zealand watching the Rugby World Cup. It feels like I am in a dream.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B