Skip to main content

Generation X stolen by snipper fire

We arrived in Mostar in stiffling heat. Instead of pushing onto Dubrovnik that night we chose instead to stay in Hostel Miran which had been recommended by our Sarajevo hostel. I can also highly recommend this spot. If just to spend an evening with Miran the host to get some perspective.

Mostar is another of Bosnia and Herzegovina (B&H) devestated cities. This time destroyed by their southern neighbours Croatia. The city bares the marks of a bloody 18 month siege in the 1990's. 

We called in for some more tasty pie on our way to the old town. Taking in a national monument on the way - following some road signs to uninspiring Model Mostar house from the 1900's. We enjoyed going into the kitchen at this Pie shop to see how they made the pies...this was 40'c day and the kitchen was probably the hottest place I have ever been...and yet they worked happily baking their pies over open fires.

We reached the "best spot" to see the famous Old Bridge found in a mosque (where everyone was a tourist wearing blasphomous clothing even for the Vatican!) making us understand that this was a strongly Islamic city. Later we learned the cross that sits above the city on the surrounding hills was placed their after the war to remind the locals of who held the highest vantage point.

Stari Most - The Old Bridge was destroyed by artillery fire in 1993 after standing for 427 years. Like most things in B&H large amounts of money has been thrown at the reconstruction of the architectural beauty in an attempt to appease for the foreign powers inaction. And I am pleased because the bridge is a marvel. Each brick was recovered from the river below and hoisted back into place. An astonishing feat but one that symbolises the reunificaiton and hope that these people have for the future. I didn't think I could feel so much heart for a place like I did in Sarajevo but Mostar really hooked me in.

We walked over the steep marble steps of bridge and were met at the top by a local diver. The 21m drop is famous for inviting daredevils, having started at the time when the bridge was first built....yes that is 427 years ago! At Hostel Miran he has had 6 broken boned crazy tourists in the last year - the most broken bones belonged to an American with no insurance! There is a real art in diving this high and no one should feel this is just a bit of a challenge...you would need coaching to achieve this as well as God over to your right!  We watched our wee mate collect up his KM (€2 each is suggested) over a half an hour period and then make the attempt. It was rather astonishing - and he lapped up the attention of the crowd. We took a walk to the rivers edge to see the spectacle a couple more times. I enjoyed dipping my feet in the icy cold river to cool me down and René sat down with an old chap  as he cast out a line - with pigeon English and lots of sign we both felt there was a real story with this man that we couldn't uncover due to the language gap.

We ate dinner at a restaurant over looking the Old Bridge and then made our way back to Hostel Miran were he was showing a BBC documentary of Mostar during the siege on an old TV set up in the court yard. Miran, a 33year old father pointed himself out during the doco and noted his neighbour an 18 year old at the time of making who was part of the Bosnian army. He had previously been at University studying law. When I asked Miran if his neighbour had gone on to become a lawyer. He replied mournfully "he was killed 4 months after the filming of the documentary". Miran himself had at age 15 been working in the hospital where they had one doctor for the city, offering help by wrapping bandages and helping people where possible.

I am turning 30 in a few days. It just seems wrong that he would have to go through that. And his hosptality was amazing. Sharing his story daily to be able to educate people that such atrocities happen in a world we inhabit and see as free. I cried that night under the cover of darkness as we saw the very streets we had walked down and the bridge we had admired be torn apart. And for what I keep asking.

Comments

  1. Am torn between whether this was, or Sarajevo was the best city on our wee journey... definitely the best view for dinner though ;-) Ren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B