Skip to main content

#Blog4NZ

Inspired by a twitter hash tag I wanted to add my thoughts on why you should love New Zealand. By the time you get to my blog you will have seen some of the obvious delights of the Land of the Long White Cloud.There is food, wine, beer, landscapes abound and more sheep than people and increasingly more stinky polluting cows.

For the past 5 years I have lived some metres from where Captain Cook set off for his voyage from London to find the collection of islands in the South Pacific. From this vantage point I have been able to see the good and bad sides of my motherland. I can't do a top 10 or even a highlight tour but to express the love I have for my country of birth seeps from my pores and suffixes my sentences.

Instead I would like to make some observations I have made of my people and my nation over these years looking from the outside in.

The People
  • New Zealanders have open faces. We smile at people with our eyes which is something I have never really seen in other cultures. This open expression on our faces welcomes engagement from strangers. We don't have hurt in our eyes just childlike inquisitiveness. 
  • We don't have hairy feet and are taller than hobbits despite the brilliance of our film industry workers making The Lord of the Rings seem so real! 
  • We are just a little bit racist. I hate this fact. But due to our isolation many New Zealanders have never seen a person from Africa let alone speak to someone who's language is not English. We have a changing population with many Oriental Asians making New Zealand home. Where I grew up in southern rural NZ our most exotic person was the Sri Lankan Maths teacher. It has always left me wanting to make friends with people with different coloured skin or a different accent so living in London's melting pot is where many of us Kiwis experience our slice of multi-culture.Come visit and help open the eyes of people by engaging with them on your travels
  • Our right of passage - or the Big OE aka Overseas Experience. Given our isolation we love to travel abroad. And New Zealanders can be found in all corners of the earth. Travelling or settled we like to experience life outside of our little country to broaden our horizons. In my family of 5 children we have all lived in Australia/Spain/England. 
  • We like sports. Rugby manically, Netball fervently, cricket adoringly and anyone with a silver fern on their left chestical will invariably have the country patriotically fist pumping. 
  • 2 degrees of separation. It really is a small country. If we don't know your Aunty Joan in Te Awamutu she was probably our mate from Universities family Nurse.
Our Language
Our sentences are completed with Ah. I had friends from the US staying with me during University and my mother enquired if I had been in touch with the Automobile Association. The conversations went as follows
Mum: "Ah"
Me: "Ah?"
Mum "AA Ah?
Me "Ah"

Translation
Mum: "Joanne Mary Herring"
Me: "What?"
Mum: "Joanne, you have a membership with the AA don't you?!
Me: "Yes, of course"

Normally its just a matter of the sentence becoming a question ah? or a statement ah.

Another notable difference particularly with females is we accent up at the end of sentences making each sentence sound like a question.
We spell in Queens English and speak with less of a twang than our Australian Cousins

Our History
Settled by migrants the world over these islands represent we are only 171 years old as a nation. We have two national languages English and Maori. Maori has been taught in primary school's since the 1980's seeing a new generation of speakers.
NZ was the first country to allow Women the Vote. Thank You Kate Sheppard your modern marvel.
We are an educated bunch! 99% Adult Literacy rate with most people going onto Higher Education. 
We have made enemies with our closest and most powerful allies because we don't like Nuclear and we don't like to kill Whales. They secretly respect us for punching above our weight (which we do principally)


Our Land
I am easily from The Most Beautiful Country in the World. I haven't been to every corner (yet!) but in any one country we really have it all.
Rainforests, Fiords, Volcanos, Lakes, Oceans, Seas, Flats, Mountains, Rolling Hills, endless skies, starry nights.

Let these images I have taken over the years (and one from my Dad in the 60's) of the landscape.

I hope you get to visit and share in its beauty
Mitre Peak, Milford Sound, Southland Photo: Jim Herring 1960's

View from the gondola, of the Adventure Capital of the World Queenstown with Lake Wakatipu, Remarkable Mountains, Otago Photo: Jim Herring 1960's
Lake Manapouri, Soutland 2010

on the shores of Lake Te Anau, Southland

Coplands Farm, Hokonui Hills, Southland, 2010

Takapuna Beach, North Shore, 2008

St Clair Beach, Dunedin, Otago, 2008

Standing on one volcano taking a photo of another volcano Rangitoto Island from Devonport, North Shore 2005

Bethnals Beach, West Auckland, 2005

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye