Skip to main content

The day the Earth moved me to tears

I woke up at 7am Tuesday 22nd of February to to 3 text messages (with 2 messages from my Mum) and I KNEW something was gravely wrong in my world. 

Mum wrote "Hi. There has been a massive earthquake in christchurch. At about 1pm. It is on tv"


Chloe's was a little more to my understanding at that time of the day "Sorry to txt so early but huge earthquake in Christchurch Hun, lots of damage....looks far worse than first one. Pls call your friends and fam to make sure they're ok xxx much love"

Mum again "Jenkins, Boyd and simon family are all safe. Kerry is in pink on tv she has her arm in a sling. Not broken though. Will call later. Nellie"

I went straight to the tv and the internet to seek out more information. To my horror during the lull of a Tuesday lunch time, Christchurch had been struck by a 6.1 earthquake, 5km deep, 10km from the central city and 2km from the port town of Lyttleton. Seen as an aftershock to the Sept 4th 2010 7.1 quake where no lives were lost. Over the subsequent months and this week of anxiousness over 5000 seismic arrhythmia's have ached the earth of the Cantabrian capital.

The news headlines screamed 65 dead.

Mum's second message confirmed my family were ok, and that Mum was clearly shock texting. Chloe's message was incredibly helpful both practically and emotionally. With her advice it was now a matter of finding if my friends were ok. This process was made easier by facebook. I have many friends in Christchurch from high school, hostel friends, university friends, old flatmates, friends from London settled back home and from my travels. So many in fact it sent me into a facebook, email and text tailspin. Social networking has really proven its worth this week.

I called Mum whilst I trawled the news sites. She mentioned they were trying to restrict phone use for non-essential calls because trapped people were dialling their families for help. I was shortly cut off. No regularly signed off "I love you" just the lonely sound of disconnection.

I raced to work that morning not knowing what way was up. I didn't need my iPod for the walk in. My thoughts were so scattered I didn't know which way was up. As I sat at my desk secure in the knowledge that many of my friends were safe and well. My family were together and minor injuries aside had survived this hideous earthquake. There was this dull ache that made me think that the degrees of separation of kiwis was going to see the devastation being reported before my eyes affecting me too. 

At around 3pm (4am NZ time) I saw a post from my Glastonbury gigging friend Graham. He was awaiting the news of his sister-in-law and my school friend Amanda. Gasping in shock. That dull ache became a painful reality. Amanda was the degree of separation that connected Graham and I - that is against the 7 degrees rule surely. 

The Separator should be protected from all National Disasters for the sake of the degree laws to be upheld.

My next thought was for my sister Liz. She had left London at 9.45pm GMT Monday. She was set to arrive in NZ at lunch time Wednesday. As it goes her phone didn't connect in HK or Sydney so she had no idea of the tragedy of her former city until she was delayed with her connecting flight. She was fine. And just now I have spoken with her to know her friends are all safe also. 

I have spoken to friend Horsey who's company deal in security around NZ and they have set a charity account to donate to (for those in NZ its 03 0915 0280856 006) for their staff. The difficult things those guys are dealing with is not something they signed up for when joining the company but as a band of brothers with skills regular folks don't have and in support for the Police they have been working tirelessly for their community.

Over the subsequent days I have be glued to my computer and phone. Anxious for any news of survivors. I've felt Powerless. Hopeful. Tearful. Pain. Anguish. Heartache. Sadness. Loneliness. Positivity. Panic. Shock. Humble. Grateful. Belief in Humanity.

Running for Christchurch Earthquake Appeal

My colleague and friend René and I were scheduled to run the Silverstone Half  Marathon on the 6th of March. I haven' been doing much training so just wanted to get around the track.

René suggested we run it for charity...for Christchurch. 

I had been posting the Salvation Army's Appeal link on my facebook and twitter accounts already as I knew we could donate in GBP easily but if we set up a justgiving site we could get Gift Aid and matching from our employers Blackrock to the sum of £500 each if we raised in excess of £500 each.
René did a sterling job of organising the fundraising with the Salvo's ensuring it goes to Christchurch. And that we have tee shirts for the day. 

Since launching the appeal on Thursday at lunchtime we have jointly raised over £1500 + gift aid + £1000 from Blackrock. 

It has been both humbling and empowering to see the support from our fellow Kiwi's abroad - who like me just wanted to know how and where to donate. And from our colleagues so eager to give comfort and support to our nation and René and I as we deal with this tragedy from afar. Even Badboy of Ballrooom and fellow Kiwi Brendan Cole giving £100 to his very own home community. 

When I ran this morning the pain in my foot seemed insignificant. The ache in my back a mere moan but the tears in my eyes were the most painful.  

I'll be running with two names on my hands next Sunday. Old Fart (My Dad passed away 9 years to the day of the event) and Amanda. 

I'm not stopping hoping for a miracle Amanda. Your one of the toughest cookies I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and I know your little ones just want Mum to come home. 

Please give




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B