Skip to main content

Behind the Scenes of a Rocking Comedy

Apologies in advance for the lack of images but due to Copyright rules no photos inside the studio were allowed. 

On Sunday night after a previous failed attempt, two of my darling friends and I were Prioritised entrance into Comedy Rocks hosted by the Twitter banned Jason Mansford. We arrived to the ITV's South Bank studios in the rain and were greeted with mulled wine which was a nice touch to get the punters giggling. On entering we sat ourselves plonk in the middle section. Later we were to discover that this meant we could only see the heads of the comedians and not their full bodies. Top tip to future TV live audience goers - go to the sides not centre! 

Alas the night was a great hoot featuring the Rocks from the one and only Paloma Faith and her band. Paloma should be kindly creditted also for being a great house band lead with a brilliant cackle and a constant support to the acts and host himseld Mr Mansford. Jason was clearly jilted from his time on telly hosting The One Show. His gags were short in line with his hosting duties and he showed us all how TV is all rather patched together by the artists in the back office (its not just TV you know!). We had plenty of double takes and rewordings during his interludes. He was kindly aided by the help of the "Filler" Charlie who kept us in stitches with tales of Devon and his plans to overthrough his doppleganger Jack Black. The official Comedy  line-up of Irish funny man Jason Byrne who cracked a few of the same funnies I saw last year at Live at the Apollo (obviously I am a freebie loving comedy goer - sorry Comedians but I do laugh loud in the free tv crowds (insert smiley-winky face - if I used emoticons!)) which was a bit disappointing. Young Newcastle Floppy Haired boy Chris Ramsay who has a bit to learn about not giggling at his own gags. The physically fastforwarded Russell Kane who shared tales of first class and the pro's of being an Apple convert (I cringe a little inside). A well placed regular on this new show.

And the draw for best act of the night was a mix of Oldy but Goody and a Fresh to Funky Town Internet Sensation. Please welcome for the first time on British Television The Axis of Awesome. Their 4 Chord Song is a strike of brilliance that any great songwriter or any musical enthusiast should take a good hard listen too. Get onto catching this viral piece of work...
Let it be noted this version was made for the Australian audience and some tunes were changed to cater for the British audience. 
 A lifetime of comedy for me started with great antipodean acts and the other awesome act in the Oldy but goody category of the night - take your bow now - or indeed curtsy, floated the boat in my house was the glittering gaytime, The One, The Only, royal affiliated, Dame Edna Everage (the one sequined Australian welcomed on the tele in Hilbre Ave). 

Using the PVC wearing Paloma as her Comedians Assistant Dame Edna hosted a hilarious union of two equally compatiable subjects. The bride may have a very jilted husband of 39 years to deal with after the episode airs on Friday! Dame Edna was an old school professional whereby she was the constant entertainer, unlike the others throughout the night who had been quite happy for Charlie the "Filler" to help with the gaps between takes, acts and re recordings of gaffs. But for me it was her striking getup that had me excited. (I will try and find a pic to add later) The sequined dress of the Australian flag with the shoulder inspirations from the great Sydney tourist site - the Opera house. Just priceless. I can't quite capture the essence of this experience in words I am sorry to say, but the warm feeling of seeing such a comedy great on stage was so heartwarming. I couldn't wait to get out of the auditorium to call Hilbre Ave!
Check it out if you get the chance. I sure will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B