Skip to main content

Half the distance is still a long way

In April 2009 I stood at the foot of my office building at Tower Hill and watched my colleagues (Willie, Col, Will, René, Thomas and Joss) run in the crowds for the London Marathon. Its a very inspiring experience to watch the people you share each day with accomplish a life long goal to complete and compete in a 42km running event.

That day I decided my mild 5km runs should be something I build on and perhaps I could complete a half marathon of 21km/13.1m (which seems daunting when you struggle around 5km in the park).

Me being me I needed new shoes. I headed to RunnnersNeed for these and was really happy with the service and attention. Without hesitation I would suggest everyone gets their feet sorted before running - these are the first trainers I have had where I have NEVER had blisters....it rocks! Other top tip double layer socks. I buy mine at Primark which I love - but they weren't in stock last week so don't count on finding them now.

My first step was to complete my local Victoria Parks 10km race for the Cancer Research on the 11th of October. On the day of the race there was no bag drop and I had no supporters at the start of the run so it made for a sharp shock that being an event runner needed more prep for the little things. I ran the race angry and made it around in 57.59. Not ideal but I learnt I can run 10km in a respectable time and that it didn't kill me.
In early 2010 after a number of conversations with friends and colleagues I decided to do the Royal Parks Half Marathon in October. I hesitated too long and had to find a charity to participate. This was not difficult for me finding The Brainstrust as the right fit for me. I was committed.

Now the real fun began - training.

I'll never forget my first run home from PowerPlates - I called my mega fit friend Di and asked her to call me back until she did I would have to run home as it was SO cold and I was so underdressed I had to get warm somehow! Di of course never called until I turned the key on my front door.

I started with reshaping my body with Power Plates classes with my friend Federica. Over the months this has definitely proved a very positive form of exercise for me. The 5.5km run home from the class was also a lot easier as I was well stretched and despite carrying a bag on my back and dodging the crowds outside of the East London Mosque I came to enjoy Monday nights more than any other night of the week.

I took part in a 10km race in the Regents Park series in June - on the hottest day of summer none the less. This experience proved I needed to train more, do more distance training and work on what to eat before a run....I usually run first thing in the morning. This means I am limber and have a set time to run as I have to be at work by a certain time...both a pro and a con when it comes to doing distances.

I continued my Power Plates sessions and my runs home and a 6km run at least twice a week. And with summer I became a little relaxed - October was so far away. I was also experiencing knee pains which had kicked in with Power Plates so I decided to rest up on the PowerPlates till after the race on the advise of a Physio - just to see the difference..and took up doing exercises with a Foam Roller.

On return from my summer holiday work took over my life and my key focus was on getting my knees right. I had gone for one lovely 10k run in Canada the morning of my friends wedding and was really excited about running again.  I knew I had 8 weeks to race day after my summer holiday. I booked in with a group of friends to do the Paris to Versailles 10mile race two weeks before the Royal Parks Half Marathon. Thinking this would be a good practise distance. I attempted to take in 2-3 runs a week with one long run in the weekend. But 10km seemed to be my limit until one late Friday night in the office I penned a 10mile distance along the Thames. Conveniently my new Polar running watch arrived that day so I had a new toy to play with as well. With the route in mind and all the wonderful sights of the city to embrace I was invigorated. On a Sunny September Saturday morning I ran 10 miles in London's Embankment to Mile End in 1.43.59 including a loo stop! (How was I going to run 13 miles without the loo?!) - I celebrated that night with two of my dearest girl friends with dinner, wine and dancing in East London. I think it was probably the best 24 hours I have felt alive and this runners high was just amazing! I wanted more.

With 10 miles achieved 2 weeks before Paris - I now had the confidence I could do the distance. Training became easier and I started to work on my core with my mate Floyd at my local community gym. He also helped me address my running style trying to get me more on my toes...which is easier said than done, old habits die hard, its just one foot infront of the other all being annoying clichés for this!

10 miles in Paris it was  - another blog post explains the weekend and the run - alas it was massive and my heart rate definitely got going! The weekend was brilliant and the race shared with friends from all over the world was a real highlight. Here we all are at the finish - from Left to Right - Myself, Chris (USA), Amanda, Megan (NYC), Rhonda (NYC) Desmond (non-running, non walking, non crawling baby!), Ev, Mike Gooly (BEL), Jen, Walter, Front - Mike Bridgen, Mike Siurek. I assure you making an event out of it makes for a much easier run. Having crossed the start line with friends was more enjoyable than any race to date. Regardless of if you run together.


Two weeks to go and I had to prepare myself - what to eat, what not to drink, where to go, race pack, what to wear. All so much to consider for a run around the park. This also kicked off my charity fundraising and I am proud to say I raised £600 for BrainsTrust with £500 matching from my work. This will make a huge difference for the folks at the BrainsTrust which is a small charity who do amazing things for those in Brain Cancer's maze of information, confusion and in the minority when it comes to cancer research...if only it was prostate, all your mates would grow mo's in November for you or wear a pink ribbon for a lost breast - but your brain which pounds, reduces your taste buds and makes you immobile lays unspoken of. 

With this in mind and the supportive messages of my family, friends and colleagues I was anticipating the big day. 

Saturday pre-race day including picking up my race pack in Hyde Park which was muddy and made me anxious about the next day. And Evan and Amanda's Pasta party awaited me for the evening of pre-race day chat and co-ordination. This was great for planning as I had never thought that it would only be in mile markers. This fact had me up until 1am figuring out and memorising the times I should reach the mile markers in to reach my goal (fyi this was 2 hours to never run another half marathon - but 2.15 would be ok so this was my outside realistic goal). 

The Race

I arrived at the start Hyde Park at 9am. I headed straight to the Charity tent to collect my charity tee-shirt and meet the folk I would be running for. This was a great start to inspire me as there was large groups of friendly folk wishing each other well for the run. From here I headed straight to the bag drop. 9.30 was start time and I watched the runners all start from the toilet queue (running into my Ibiza holidaying friends!). This meant I was 15 minutes late to cross the start line (but I counter that I would have needed the loo on the course if I didn't go for a nervous pre-pee!) 

9.45 crossing the start line with the 2.30 pace runners. Here I ran past most of the people to try and pace with those running a 2.10. Passing the elite males along Green Park really inspired me to keep rolling. I maintained a solid start making it to the Houses of Parliament 2 mile marker in under 20 minutes. I found the run along the Embankment hard work as we ran against those at my normal running pace....I was still with the 2.30/2.20 races which made this section a little disheartening. Running back up the Embankment was great though as I started to settle into a rhythm. As I ran up towards Downing St on the corner was a massive (its true) black women who was in a high vis jacket on the corner....seeing her made me realise why I had got involved. Although I was pleased she was there keeping the peace, her presence reminded me of the good health I enjoy due to my fitness. Picadilly Circus was almost accident prone with tourist's galore confused with the running masses. Up The Mall I thought of my brother Thomas and Vicky who reminded me prior to the event how lucky I was to be running this event in this wonderful city, I call home. Approaching Buckingham Palace I was reminded of my two princesses back in NZ who wanted to pick the Palace to keep me spurred on....this is about the time I started to feel emotional. WARNING: Running and Emotions should be a very equal balance - more on this later. 

As I approached the gates of Hyde Park I was shy of 1 hour which makes for the fastest 10km I have ever run....and then the rhythm started to eeb. I reached the half way mark at 1.04.27 on this pace I would make it to the finish line in good time, but I had to confess by this stage I would have to run another half marathon! I saw my sister Liz shy of the 7 mile mark and was really starting the feel it, by 8.5 as I ran past her again I was beaten. I had 1.5m to where friends had mentioned they would be for the Percy Pig stop....that reminded me I had Fruit Pasties in my back pocket...the excitement I had on realising this was phenomenal! One each mile now. Something to look forward to for sure. 

Reaching the 10 mile marker I had to refocus. Here I began from the beginning in my head. I started on my 5km local run. I stepped down the stairs to the canal, ran past the graffiti at the Ragged School of Music, past the warehouse flats, then Candy Wharf and the nosey neighbour block of flats, Mile end park reached out to my right and on the left a swan swanned about. The foot bridge was approaching and Mile End Road bridge just ahead. This mental focus got me to realise I could keep on the last 30 minutes of my run. Not long to go now.

As I ran along the north edge of Hyde Park to the 11 mile marker I was anticipating seeing my friend Holly. H is a Personal Trainer and has often passed comment about how frustrating it is to see people run with bad posture. So as I ran I focused on my posture. This was interrupted regularly by a granny with a 'Good Luck' balloon attached to her back as she would run past me then fall back repeatedly. It was enough for me to lose her! And the fact she was move than 20 years my senior...

At the 11 mile marker I rounded the corner to see my colleague and friend Miranda and her husband Nerish and daughter Lizzy. I was boosted by her encouragement...she was bouncing around and shouting like I do at such events and was just the energy I needed. I could have died 300m on but alas! She was going to be at 12 miles so I had to keep it up. 

Target time was getting hazy. I had let the 2.10 pacer run past me around 10 miles so I knew this was going to be a hard road to my 'respectable' time. 

I shuffled into the 12 mile marker with more shouts from Miranda and realised I had a wee hill to master before getting to the finish line. As I started on the final half mile Liz and Amanda were there to celebrate with a sign conveniently versatile for our running crew 'Good Job' that when folded read 'GO JO'  - love it! On seeing this and the cheers of these two I became so overwhelmed. 

The goal for me to cross this line was to achieve a fitness goal and to attempt something I have never done before. At age 21 I walked a half marathon in Dunedin, New Zealand. This I did in 3.02 (from memory). Running had been something I have come to love since being in London and doing a big event here was a real tick box. But like all big things in life I was unable to share it with those I love. And none more so than the person I had chosen the charity for. The Old Fart. Dad.

All of this struck me as I heard Liz shouting from behind me as I struggled those last few meters. I had to have a stern chat with myself to refocus as the tears welled and get myself across the line - in 22 seconds none the less. Shit. RUN! So I did. I kicked it in and ran as fast as I could reaching the line at 2.15.05 Bugger that 5 seconds! I was gasping for air for the next few minutes as I regrouped. 

As I staggered through the crowds, I came across my running team Ev, Mike S and Mike B all refreshed and feeling great. I had a massage to endure at my charity tent and my bag to pick up. I needed my jacket - despite the sun, I was in exhaustion phase. 

At the charity tent I ran into my old colleague Gael who just 6 short weeks before had told me to just plod the distance for my lack of training. It was brilliant to see her as she has trained so well and was a real inspiration (as always!) for me getting involved in this event. She had finished in 2.11 which made my mind up to sign up for my next half marathon...I had to beat her time now!

Here I am with my medal at the completion of my goal (and a wee massage as well, hence the smile!) 

Over the coming days I ached and have since been feeling a tough time with my right foot. 

Today I would like to reflect that this was a great day of my life. No runners high like past events but none the less it was a great event. I would recommend people to do the Royal Parks Half Marathon (have a few runs in the park before and you may enjoy it more). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye