Skip to main content

sucky part of being a girl.....



I don't plan what I write about on this blog but one thing I have tried not to involve you all in is my constant struggle with my lady bits. Not because they bounce around on Asian bus journeys if untamed by a fierce sports bra, nor the nuisance of fitting these curves into any clothes in the beautiful high street stores, but the actual innards of my lady bits where on a monthly basis I turn green, lose feeling in my legs and have to swiftly crawl to the bathroom to vomit in pain. Always a little awkward if out in public obviously.

For the benefit of my male readers be warned I'm likely to start mentioning words you'll recognise from Health lessons at school when you would blush and be baffled by the intriguing boobs and bits girls were starting to develop across the classroom (some of which you learnt you never wanted to know about). You may also squirm when I write "period" and don't mean full stop. I'll forgive you for laying off the blog for a bit while I soldier through this stage (I nearly used period there too) of my story.

Since I was 14 I have had bad period pain. When asked by my gynaecologist if this interrupted my schooling, I replied "no….I'm the youngest of 4 girls and my teachers knew that I would need an afternoon off a month, or more to manage my health". I never had to explain myself thanks in part to my family history, but honestly this is little comfort to you when every 28 days I am curled in a ball, taking deep breaths and medicating myself with painkillers that screw with my digestive system - for the past 17 years. Yes that long!

Having an endometriotic episode at 4800m above sea level 
is not recommended!
While I travelled on the Big Adventure I found that I would rest for a day or two, doing "Admin" - sitting in a hotel, with my drugs, food on hand and water to last me the days before I could surface again. This was fine - until I took on the Everest Base Camp trek. At altitude I highly recommend not being on your period regardless of any pain issues you have. Your body is already deteriorating with every vertical step as the oxygen seeps from your being, so there is no reason to trek when you know you'll be at a weaker point in your month. I can laugh about it now but I described my accent to Everest Base Camp as "bogged up, bent over and out of breath". I distinctly remember saying a mountain thank you to the makers of drugs to get me to the greatest high of my life.

On my return to "normal life" in London I realised this was not something I could actually manage any longer. After many months of visiting my local GP I was sent for a scan at my local hospital. The radiographer allowed me to see my innards and the endometriotic cyst fast growing in my uterus. 8 weeks later I met a Gynaecologist who confirmed the radiographers speculation. Also mentioning I have a cyst inside likely to burst at any time which will "likely be very painful - but probably nothing worse than you have already experienced". Oh yippee!

I have chosen key hole surgery as my treatment plan rather than some injections that turn off your ovaries which is usually prescribed for women trying for babies. So it shall be an interesting journey over the coming months as I get some inside knowledge on my innards like never before.

As of May 31st I had already had my pre-operative assessment and have been told I am good to go at any time for surgery - so I should start calling to book in a fortnight's time. Because I love my family and hate repeating things I might post the progress on here. Nothing gruesome I promise. Just factual details with my own honest experience. So maybe gruesome actually....but it'll be true. Maybe something you will read here will help a friend or loved one while they suffer quietly.

But for now, I'm enjoying a break in my pain, instead relishing in the aches and pains of a 10 mile run around the beautiful Limehouse Cut to the Hackney Marshes for the cleanest London air I have tasted in preparation for my half marathon next weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye