Skip to main content

Altitude Sickness

This is not the conventional altitude sickness. I haven't lost my appetite, got a thumping headache, disintry or suffer from shortness of breath after 10 steps. This is a feeling of missing all of these symptoms, just to be in the great heights of the Himalayas again. That feeling that none of my pictures from my time in the Kumbu or indeed Sikhm really can medicate me.

The thing about travel is it gets under your skin so much it really can leave you with a permanent impediment. The wanderlust of being in the valley of the great mountains 60 years on since the first summit by my heroes Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay is consuming me at the moment. Today is my first anniversary since I made it to Everest Base Camp, and if today is anything to go by I will be making a return!

I will never forget the difficulty of the Kumbu. With nothing more than 5 months travelling South East Asia as training and the first night providing me with a bout of the runs, I was not best prepared. From years of tramping at home in New Zealand I was taught by my Dad to walk at your own pace, walk as a team and support each other. With my personal Sherpa Ganji I was in good company, along with Australian Dr Dustin and New Yorker Elan. I had bleeding noses regularly, walked slower than many men twice my age and had no appetite what so ever, that I was bribed into eating most evenings. But I would do it all over again just to be amongst the Mountains that envelope you and the valleys dip deeper than you ever thought it was possible to fall.

The days in the Kumbu really have given me some valuable lessons for getting through the toughest times in the past year. One moment gets me more than any. Walking up the hill to the airstrip overlooking Namache Bazaar on my first aclimitisation day, might have been my biggest test yet. I thought with every ten steps that I should just turn around and fly back to Kathmandu, cos damn it was hard! Then as it levelled off and horses were grazing on the airstrip and we dared to cross with no planes in earshot, it seemed a little more managable.  We carried on up the hill to the Khunde were I wanted to visit the Hillary Clinic built with the help of the NZ Lions. As I put one foot in front of the other we came across a mother and her daughter under 2years old. The Mother carried a water bottle on her back and the little girl tottered along beside her Mum holding her hand. In a surprising moment I offered to carry the girl to Khunde. We walked for about 20 minutes and as I went to set her down at the Town Entrance Prayer Wheels, she closed her big eyes and pretended to be asleep. She loved this sweet ride. So guilted by cuteness I carried her on for a while longer.

Photo Credits to Dustin De Jonge
What you wont realise is that this little girl has to walk everywhere. She has never known the wheels of a push chair, let alone a car, bus, doesn't have a clue what a boat would be for, but does not the difference between a helicopter and a small passenger plane. Her mother has to visit the Khunde (some distance from home) for clean water, school and for a volunteer western Doctor. And when I think of those blinking eyes I remember just how different my life is to hers. We make the best of our situation and the people of the mountains inspire me as much as the mad climbers.

So today I am going to put up some prayer flags in Stepney for my Kumbu valley friends, sherpas and climbers. And I'm going to run a little harder with all that intoxicating oxygen here at sealevel....and plant the seeds of my return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B