Skip to main content

Spring step - a post-travel post

I can barely remember where I left my blog last year. It seems like a pretty ugly patch in my life after a year of travelling to some of the most beautiful, enriching and challenging places in the world. I am so grateful to be on the otherside of the post travel blues that challenged me coming into end of 2012.

So much of travel is about the preparation before you go. The saving of all those pennies, stocking up on quality time with loved ones, savouring of experiences once taken for granted on your front door, handing in your notice, putting your bank, phone, flat in order so it doesn't cost you more than it needs to (some more successfully than others!)  storage of your possessions, handing over of keys and finding some time to make a plan about  where and what that elusive travel might entail.  Then there are the farewells, those last tastes of home, hugs of babes who will be walking talking boys when you get back and getting to the airport on time without holding on for one last hug.

That to me is the easy part. Its the whirlwind, the happy times, the moments full of excitement, promise and intent. The moments you say I love you.

On the flip side of this is the return. My return was one that will forever shake me. It tainted my experience. Broke me in a way Everest didn't. It seems that the big What Next? really has been my undoing.

Spring and the Rose Tinted Glasses
As I walked past a man in high quality hiking boots and his swag sitting on the park bench, down the Stepney Way yesterday, it got me thinking of a thousand maybes. How the past eight months could have been very different, if I had have had my health and not had my buffer money. If I had had to return to work, not through choice but through necessity. Would I be seeing these first days of Spring as hopefully as I am today, or would have I enjoyed Christmas instead?

Returning home has had me reading more self help books than I ever thought possible. Its been a time of reflection and recuperation. And boy oh boy have I realised I am not normal (Thomas James you were right all along!). I have discovered that I needed to be amongst people moving forward not in circles, as my temptation to join their circle line journey was too tempting, turning off the tap on these friendships was heart breaking but definitely worthy of getting me to today.

I owe a debt to my old flatmate Chiara for all the long chats and the patience she had in my darkest hours. Tears and confusing Kiwi conversation as I tried to untangle myself couldn't have been done without her honest Italian ways. This also goes for my dear friend Dianne who is on a journey of her own and in being able to share these months I was able to share in the reading, updates on meetings and generally keep me moving forward.

Despite all this reverence I honestly still don't have an answer to the What Next question. But the one thing I have now is the confidence to say "its okay". I don't feel defeated anymore. And I feel like I am taking my first steps... Himalayas anyone?

I can't say what is right or wrong for those on the road, spend it all or have a buffer. There is no right answer. But there is one thing for sure. Its a thud.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye