Skip to main content

Inspired by my mate & his very OWN BOOK!

This blog is almost solely about my love of my friend Haps book and how it has made me feel a little more normal than I did last week.

If you haven't heard of my dear friend Hap let me introduce him to you....Mark Cameron aka Hap was a hung over dreadlocked student when I met him in my hall of residence in my first year at University and over the coming 3 years we would work together on almost every group assignment I had in my Marketing major, usually with a girl nicknamed Dogs making for a cherished bond in my life. In my last year of university Hap called around to my flat having graduated the year before to have a cuppa on my balcony overlooking the city of Dunedin. He told me of his mission to live and work on all the continents before he was 30. At 21 that seemed a fair plan, so the next day he headed off to Korea to get the ball rolling. Over subsequent years Hap made his way around the world working and backpacking and falling out of trees - see Hap and I were part of the lengthy email generation where you would send bulk emails of your travels into your family and friends inbox's and they would either read them or delete them. I literally lived off Haps emails, possibly responding to every one asking for the next instalment. When he fell out of a tree he decided to put it into a blog and it is from hapworkingtheworld that I started KiwiJoBloggs about my own musings and travel adventures and tips.

So it comes as no surprise after a decade of travel and a rich aray of stories that Hap came to write a book and it is marvellous! For its honest and heartfelt trials and tribulations of love and life on the road. From doors being opened and inevitably slammed  in your face.  From moments of great wealth to desperate dashes to soup kitchens. Its deeply personal and laugh out loud funny, the girl in me cringed plenty with tales of his sexipades (and explains why when I met his sister earlier in the editing process she had mentioned it was a real "insight into her brother she hadn't necessarily counted on") it had me sighing with understanding about his altitude issues, crying with despair and joy at his heartfelt tales of the emotional roller coaster of life on the road and literally had me spell bound with the variety of situations he ended up in.

But I stayed in bed all day on a sunny Sunday (in the depths of a very personal existential crisis) to finish the last pages and came to understand something about my friend that made me want to leap across the world and hug him crying "I totally relate!".


Hap's final chapters have been the hardest of his journey. As anyone who has had goals in life will understand when you come close to the end, You and everyone around you asks "what next". With each question its like an incision in your soul. Never answering the burning question just making it seem bigger and more impossible than everything you have ever achieved so far. I don't have the answer to this question yet, but I am pleased to say that Hap does, and he is storming the nation now learning his craft and spreading the good word not least with a new tan line on his left hand on the fourth finger where it meets his knuckle.

Reading Hap Working the World
at the Entrepreneurs  2012 Conference
waiting for Bill Clinton to speak
(after being told you are nobody
unless you have written a book!!)
I am so grateful for Hap sharing this part of his journey as so often the cheerful demeanour and sun drenched photos of our travels belay an image of joy when loneliness and lack of purpose seem to plague us. Thank You my friend from the bottom of my heart for being an inspiration and a true and honest man. You've lived your first behemoth goal in life - what is to follow can only be great. Of that I am sure.

Hap Working the World is available at all good bookstores in NZ and Australia and can be ordered online from here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B