Skip to main content

Silk, Technology & Temples in Karnataka - Part 1 - A tale of Two Cities


Karnataka and Bangaluru is in central southern India. Home to India’s silk capital Mysore, burgeoning Silicon Valley’esque city, Bangalore, and whiling away in the rocky alcoves north the temple filled town of Hampi. 

I have broken the post into two so you can see what I got up to over a couple of cups of tea. 


Mysore – MySilk
I took a taxi with 3 savvy young professionals on Sunday of Easter all heading back to work at HP and Samsung in the countries Tech cities of Hyderabad and Bangalore respectively. I tried to bargain for a room at the Park Royal (simply because I fancied saying I had stayed there!) not a chance! Settling down the road I made a home for myself in Mysore for a couple of days enjoying the cooler climate (I guess about 28C). 

Mysore Palace Gate....
I was a bit slow for the Palace shot!
I  started at the cities Palace lit with 10,000 lights and as I entered the Palace grounds, large rain drops started to cascade down and as I took the lense cap of my camera, the lights flicked of, right on queue. The night will be remembered as my first drowned rat impression. A hot shower was carefully negotiated – something I have now learnt is a commodity in India. I returned the following day to see the Palace which was a classic Maharaja palatial museum of trophies and ornaments – over exaggerated since a fire destroyed the building in 1897.

The following day I enjoyed walking the streets of Mysore a largely untouristy town with a market of narrow alleys with plastic household goods, shoe shops, regular boring things that make me appreciate normality! Hiring an auto for a few hours I headed out to the Railway Museum which was great fun. Kids would love being able to drive all the trains parked up. It steps you back in time to an English gentry which bought one of the largest employers in the modern world into play…the Indian Railways.

I headed to the Government run Silk Factory. If I could have taken my camera in I would have been hours but for over an hour I walked around the factory. Talking to the workers who showed me generously their work, stepping me through the process of silk threading to silk weaving, talked about cricket with me, twinned gold thread around my wrist and laughed in their work, slept on the job amongst thundering looms and read the newspaper or ate snacks. It was an absolutely brilliant work place which continued to fuel my love for silk. And remembering this was a government run operation gave me a real buzz. I went to the shop and bought some of their beautiful fabric (boring plain stuff in reality) – which I have sent home to make god knows what with!

Bangalore – an ExPat adventure
An overcrowded bus deposited me in Bangalore in a bus station which broke my spirit a little. Using my new found trick, “Find MG Road”, I hailed an auto and made for the centre of town. Here I found a refreshingly nice hotel in Brigade Street (the Oxford Street of Bangalore) with moth balls in every possible corner of my room and an excellent internet connection. HELLO TECHNOLOGY IN INDIA!

While in Bangalore I took the approach of Ex Patriate – eating delicious food all three nights at UB City a high rise office block with exclusive stores below…even the staff at Burberry treated me with respect in my Havianas – yeah that’s right I have white skin, it means I have bundles of money. Watch me spend it! (Or just ask to try on the dress I just had made from their design in Veitnam ;0)

Bangaluru Palace - a homely affair
I took an auto for the day and enjoyed the sites – the Bangalore Palace despite its massive entrance fee (R1000 with camera) was a delight. The family home is like no other Maharajas home I have visited before. It simply is a home. Photos adorn the walls of growing children, hunting finds and family holidays. It felt intimate and welcoming – so unlike other Palaces I have visited around the world. In contrast they were about the host a wedding for 5000 guests. When I asked if that was normal the security guards looked confused and answered yes…why how many came to a wedding in NZ? When I answered 100 – 150 at the most, one responded “well of course you can afford to travel the world, you wouldn’t even need to save for a wedding for that number!” I promised I would use this as my line going forward as to why I’m travelling.

The Museum of Modern Art was an absolute highlight for me. I have seen so few galleries and museums in Asia and this air conditioned well curated gallery was a refreshing afternoon activity and education into style of Bengal School of Art developed during the Raj years.

My auto driver insisted on me seeing the government building, unfortunately I was unable to take any photos due to terrorist threats the building is now under heavy security. The following day whilst walking in Cubbon Park I met an elderly man taking his daily constitution – he professed to be the son-in-law of the architect. He was a real character and I am sorry not to make more of a note of his story – but if you fancy visiting him he lives at 25 MG Road – say you know me. He was able to give me a small insight into the post-Raj view of life in the city. Educated in Britain he was a man of yesteryear for sure. The major road developments and the failing businesses were all part of his repertoire and he knew a lot of locally important people. He himself I believe would be one of the wealthiest men I will meet in India – owning some of the land and buildings in downtown Bangalore.

I also took in a few blessings at The Bull Temple and Doddha Ganesh Temple. Their names explain their deities and were a gentle start into Hindu blessings for me as I settle into my stride here in Hindustan (India pre-independence). Tipu Palace was a less noteworthy stop. As an open air Palace it has been weather beaten and the most interesting thing I was shown was a piece of art in their small museum where the eye of the subject looked like it followed you as you moved. Curious indeed.

I spent 3 hours at the Post Office one day…it was a tiring endeavour with all the packages needing a hand stitched calico bag. I think Tom got the most elaborately presented tie ever known! Shame the only paper I had to write a note to him was an envelope!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Friday the 13th in Singapore. Ominious

I arrived late on the eve of the unlucky day and found myself a pod in the Wink Hostel in Chinatown. I was chuffed to be staying in the hostel of my Mums maiden name as we had joked I might settle there  before I left. Its a concept hostel with pods and all the latest technology - and complimentary Cocoa Pops so it made me very happy. The next morning I woke early to start the Big Adventure off on a good start. It was Friday 13th what possibly could go wrong. Equiped with my camera and beaming rays of sun I started to get trigger happy at the local construction as I walked towards the river. And low and behold 4 blocks from the hostel my jandal broke  (thats flip flop for all you Brits)....so I had to reverse back to get the travel sandals I had reluctantly bought in Melbourne. Round two of departure and not short of emotion...these jandals have taken me everywhere. From London to Ibiza, Israel, Canada, USA, NZ twice, Italy, France,Turkey, Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Austria, B