Skip to main content

Pooling Around - the grass roots of the RWC

Some 7 weeks ago I arrived in New Zealand to be greeted with black flags and radio sport in the car. And a nation saying "if" we win the world cup. "When" was my instant response. I was bemused why the rugby loving culture were not adamant there team had it in them. Over the coming weeks I got back into the Kiwi psychi and began to watch the negative news and the negative press about our team and all things Rugby World Cup related.

Week One - The opening ceremony and the NZ v Tonga game that followed was an absolute hit! NZ won the game convincingly allowing Tonga who by all intense and purposes bought the party and the passion to the tournament before it started with their furicous welcome at the airport and the many red flags (and even a painted house seen here in Northcote) to welcome their heroes. I personally had a fabulous night enjoying the game with my mates Uncle and the father-in-law of the sole Tongan try scorer. Nice on Kev! Final Score 41-10

Sadly the NZ news the following evening covered these as the headlines of the night. Poor transport services, over crowding in the streets, drunken behaviour. Not untrue but just not the highlight of the night. I'm sure those outside of Auckland or those who stayed at home to watch the game thought it was a spectacle and a half.



At my Homestead Stadium,
Invercargill in my Dad's Swandri. 
Week Two - I flew south to Gore and took in a couple of games at Homestead in Invercargill. The first a penalty riddled game between Scotland and Georgia was very unconvincing. Final Score 15-6 to Scotland. The local support was amazing and made me so proud to be from the provinces. With so many southerners calling Scotland the motherland (we were settled by the Scots 130 years ago) myself a second generation Kiwi, it was tough to tell the tourists from the locals. The city was a kilt fest with the English supporters donning their Red and white for Georgia (and to antagonise their northern neighbours as per usual).

My Nephew Joshua in his
Argentina colours
My neice Sophie in her 
Argentina colours
The second game was between Argentina and Romania and fell on my 30th birthday. We started the day with a Salmon Roast with all my southern family. Being greeted on the gate by my cousin who was volunteering and catching another cousin inside the match. The crowd was electric and my young niece and nephew had an amazing time with the Argentinian fans jumping the shouting and falling in love with rugby in the process. Final Score 43-8 to Argentina. We joined the revellers in town that night for the Australia v Ireland match and had further cause for celebration with Irish win! The weekend was backed up with the Christening of my London nephew home for the RWC too. Making it a weekend of fabulous family celebrations.

Chloe on Fan Trail
Haka challenge v France in Pool Round, Eden Park
Week Three - back to Eden Park in Auckland for the France v NZ match and it was another electric affair. Chloe and I had been in Cardiff 4 years before to see the defeat in the Quarter final stages so we had a score to settle and the Cocks were sure as hell going to cop it tonight! We walked the last 2km of the Fan trail and got to the ground early and after a great game and a good French Toast we continued the sporting success in Kingston with a semi final win for the NZ league team in the Australian league taking us to the NRL finals!

Samoan and Fijian players
pray after the game, Eden Park
The weekend was completed with a Samoan triumph at Eden Park against their island competitors Fiji. A game I couldn't give the ticket away for but enjoyed with the company of Allan a fellow rugby fan and returned ex-pat. The atmosphere was awesome though with everyone getting on board to support one of our island neighbours and the drums beating.




The South African Boys get a
good Samoan welcome!,
North Shore Stadium
Week Four - started with the arrival of Sean, Colin and Willie from London on Friday. After the boys freshened up we went straight to the South Africa v Samoa game at North Harbour Stadium. I had been given a ticket from a friend and we were all scattered around the field. The atmosphere was brilliant with a performance from Samoans complete with drums and grass skirts. The game was tightly fought and resulted in a 13-5 win for South Africa. We had a magic time and made a night of it celebrating with 12 South African friends until 6am.

Celebrating with Samoan supporters in
the Viaduct after their final game
  v South Africa
(photo sent from Rog on the Left
 to wish the AB's luck for the Final!)

English Roses Andrea and Beth on the
fan trail with the Royal  Family














The Tri nations Canadian Kelly,
Kiwi René  and South African Colin
Saturday saw my old Varsity flatmate Andrea and her English flatmate Beth join Colin and I for the fan trail. Just a few yards up Queen St another Varsity friend Victoria and her boyfriend/my school friend Grant made for a right old gaggle. The game was a classic RWC spectacle.The passionate Scots were defeated 16-12 with a consolation hug from me and a "Thank You for coming to our country, New Zealand loves you!". We partied with the Scots that night along with the arrival of another London; René and his Canadian born but Kiwi proud Dad Kelly.

Sunday was locked in for the NRL final to see the NZ Warriors take on Manly Sea Eagles...alas we lost but sharing it with my Varsity girls was a brilliant way to end the weekend.

Week Five was all consuming with a trip South with the London based SA boys Colin, Sean and Willie and will take another long blog to skim the tour highlights if only to sell NZ for its beauty!

This saw us to the business end of the tournament and worthy of a notable breath. What is to follow makes me more proud than words.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My My Myanmar

I have been touched, pinched, squeezed and had my back rubbed as I was sick. Myanmar is one phenomenal place which I have so much hope for. Hope for democracy, hope for development and hope for conservation, all in a gradual process without losing its authenticity. I have felt safe, with my large amounts of cash (remember no ATM’s so budgeting became a real past time of all travellers not just the “budget” ones) and in pilgrimaging crowds, in villages and on rickety hill top roads, travelling solo or in a crowd. Not once did I fear for my personal safety or that of my belongings. I had to stop myself on the first day from being so travel weary and closed. I had to trust. I had to open up and Myanmar may well have taught me one of my greatest lessons on my Big Adventure. captive in Myanmar There were moments of democratic desire, like an aged village monk carrying a bamboo log who stopped me to ask “Do you know Aung San?” to which I replied quietly knowing it was a very c

2022 Challenge - Te Araroa trail

Catching up on this blog after a 4 year hiatus.  I arrived back in New Zealand in 2015 fresh off a Rugby World Cup final win and with excitement to settle in my homeland. Life in Auckland has been consumed by working in Consulting and home ownership, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the gifts the New Zealand has to offer.  I've observed I have a pattern of 4 year cycles. There was Valencia in 2007, then the Big Adventure in 2011, Moving home in 2015, and In 2019/2020 I renovated my house and it wasn't quite the challenge that scratched the adventure itch enough. The pandemic has challenged us all and after long periods of isolation, working at home, lockdowns and the heartbreaking reality that motherhood might not be my path in life and with new found reduced restrictions something had to change After winter beached on the couch I have decided to see my own country Aotearoa New Zelaand.  This October I will be taking on the Te Araroa Trail, 3,000km walk from C

Day 16 - 23 Everyone needs good friends

The great Ocean Beach escape allowed me a day to rest while Teena worked, her daughter studied for exams and husband went on a free-dive course. I also had the pleasure of watching my trail friends come off the gnarly hike I had ahead of me. Feet up on the deck I waved them through. The Bach hospitality was wonderful. Relaxed and restorative.  The following morning Teena dropped me back to Oceans Beach with a day bag (hooray) to conquer the Bream Head Track. A beast I had been eyeing every step of Oceans beach two days prior. It was a slow exposed grassy ascent followed by a full on climb with ropes and frantic footing. So grateful not to have more weight on my back, to make these climbs simplified and sticks to steady the climb. I slipped on a tree root on a narrow section reminding me to concentrate. The views from the glimpses between the forest canopy stretched north to my yesterdays and south to my tomorrows long hike and Marsden Pt and Bream Bay. I was on the hunt for the lost ye